Thread: I’m Looking For……

I’m Looking For……

Hello

I want to get into 10m target shooting. I have approached a few clubs in my area, whom have all recommended that I start with a second hand rifle.

Walther and Feinwerkbau 601/2 seems to be often mentioned.

The problem is; I can’t find one for love, nor money.

Can anyone help?

Oh, and if it matters with these particular rifles; I’m left handed..

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice that may come..

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, left handed target rifles are like rocking horse nuggets. You may need to broaden your search, there are loads of extremely capable rifles out there, you might try something a bit more lower down the range until you find what you want. You'll have little difficulty selling it on if you buy a recognised model or you may even be surprised at how good they can be.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your advice.

What other rifles could I consider?

TonyMc06,

It took me many, many, many years to find my FWB602 !

You could consider the 'classic' 10m recoil-less springers - Feinwerkbau 300's, Anschutz 250, Diana/Original 66 & 75.

These are still highly capable accuracy wise

However, the stocks can leave much to be desired in the adjustability stakes compared to those found on the upper models of modern PCP rifles.

Also consider the Walther LGR SSP - they appear on the market quite frequently, and the LGR is no slouch in the accuracy stakes either - as above WRT the ergonomics of the stocks.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Only my opinion as I don't shoot 10m, I just happen to have a lot of target rifles.

A pcp has three main advantages as I see it:

~ as Russ has said, being more modern they are more ergonomic.

~ 10m is physically very demanding, not having to cock or pump your rifle every shot is less wearing and unless you train regularly, the physical effort will effect your pulse and breathing.

~ psychologically you will have an advantage, knowing that you have no recoil, and an extremely consistent rifle to shoot with, will help the mind, especially if you're of a competitive nature.

All that said there is some extreme satisfaction to be had in shooting some of the older rifles and we have to remember (if we stick to the major players, FWB, walther, etc.) they all competed at Olympic level somewhere along the line, so will most likely still do a grand job.

I shoot Bell target weekly and despite having an array of technical behemoths to play with, I get the most satisfaction out of shooting my 100 year old plus Mk1 webley. It has rudimentary open sights, a stock which is about 2" too short, makes less than 2ftlbs (pretty erratically) and a sight line of around 9 - 10". Despite all that, if I do my bit correctly, it will hit the bell every time. Occasionally, I get it right and it's very rewarding.

I'm not saying it's the right animal for 10m but you get my point. When I started Bell target, it was all about my walther LGR, which is a fantastic bit of kit. These days though, I rarely use it.

Sights are also something to consider, the vast array of adjustments available today are incredible and you can easily spend upwards of a monkey on them alone.

I'd say take the chance to try a few of the main makers options and see what you like before diving in. In my experience some of the early Eastern bloc examples are best avoided, but then maybe all mine have been dogs.

Finally, just to get going, I know a few left hookers who shoot with right handed stocks. Not out of choice, but, it's better than nothing.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMc06 View Post
    Hello

I want to get into 10m target shooting. I have approached a few clubs in my area, whom have all recommended that I start with a second hand rifle.

Walther and Feinwerkbau 601/2 seems to be often mentioned.

The problem is; I can’t find one for love, nor money.

Can anyone help?

Oh, and if it matters with these particular rifles; I’m left handed..

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice that may come..
    As one left handed shooter to another

10m Match rifles from Walther came with ambi stocks as well as dedicated right hand stocks. The models were LG90 and LGM-1.
    Dedicated left hand stocks and actions were available for the LGM-2 and LGM210.
    FWB made the 603 Junior with ambi stock
    Steyr LG1 was available with left hand stock.
    Diana 100 was made with left hand stock.

There are a few examples circulating out there, try a 'Wanted' ad on here and you may prise one out. I think you need to get a few more posts on the forum before you can access the 'Sales' section.

Good luck

The Original model 75 is a good option.

Terry Robb had a left handed Original 75 when I was there a few weeks ago, might still have it in the shop if you are passing his neighbourhood and wanted to check it out.

SSP would never be my choice. Theyre so awkward to cock (the wrong way around).
    Had a Walther for plays once, was fed up with it within 10 shots.
    Love the Diana 75, FWB300...
    FWB300s are made a lot, should be far easier to get.
    Otherwise CO2.
    But all rifles will be quite scarce in l/h.
    But maybe there are some Universal guns around?
    ATB,
    yana

Weihrauch

Sorry only just come across this thread. So you may have already found something. As the other posters have eluded to the left hand target rifles are very difficult to come by. However I will throw something that was introduced to me by Ian Jones. The humble Weihrauch HW30. Modified to target specification and with good diopter sights I doubt that you will find an easier rifle to come to terms with. They are readily available, fairly inexpensive and always re-saleable. Best of all is that the stock is ambidextrous.

Just a thought,
    Warren.