Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Britannia sure shot requires repair

Britannia sure shot requires repair

Hi,

I have a lovely Britannia sure shot. All original and in very nice condition. It's a long story, but the rifle does not have a spring, the piston does not have a washer and appears to be missing its locating catch on the piston.

I don't have any great engineering skills or access to a workshop. Could anyone on this forum recommend a 'Britannia' gunsmith who could perhaps bring this old gun back to life?

Many thanks.

A cut down Meteor spring and 1’’ leather washer should fit.
    What’s the problem with the piston? A pic of the piston would help.

Cheers,
    Matt

Hi Matt,

The piston appears to be missing the inserts for catching the sear link. I will get a couple of photos up.

Thanks for the great advice, I'll purchase a 1" leather washer and meteor spring and give it a go. Scratching my head about the inserts though!

I know it sounds like a silly question, but the piston doesn’t have a cocking rod sticking out of the back does it?

If there are no slots like it might be an ineffectual replacement piston.

Matt

The two bents formed in a dovetailed in and pinned plate may be what the OP's missing ?
    If so , then ideally filed up from a piece of gauge plate hardened, and lightly tempered ..

Hi Matt,

I have a couple of pictures, but don't seem able to load them up at present. Can send them on PM on mobile?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    as TS says, the piston engagement slots might have broken out from the skirt and been lost...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Pics of Andrew's britannia piston:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Is the threaded hole for the leather washer still at the end? Looks like a hollow tube.

As previously stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    The two bents formed in a dovetailed in and pinned plate may be what the OP's missing ?
    If so , then ideally filed up from a piece of gauge plate hardened, and lightly tempered ..
    Should look like this:

Not something I can help with I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Matt

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    It looks like someone has tried to repair in the past with 2 holes drilled in the end of the piston. looks like a complete piston needed.

Doesn't look like a difficult job. Just make a plate to fit the dovetail, soft solder it in and then mill a couple of slots in to make the detents.

Strangely enough, I've just bought 6 x Meteor mainsprings and 10 x 1" leather cup washers. OP, send me a PM with a phone number please, sounds an interesting job.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Doesn't look like a difficult job. Just make a plate to fit the dovetail, soft solder it in and then mill a couple of slots in to make the detents.
    hi mate. I agree, but would prefer to weld or braze it, so as you can then harden after milling the slots
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    hi mate. I agree, but would prefer to weld or braze it, so as you can then harden after milling the slots
    Possibly Jon. there are a few ways. I wouldn't be happy welding but certainly braze or hard solder. If soft soldered, the bents could be machined, hardened/tempered before soldering in. The dovetail block would have to be shaped to the piston by either turning or grinding but that is best decided with the part in ones hands, easy enough to do at home.
    The only unknown quantity for me is the distance between the engagement surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    The only unknown quantity for me is the distance between the engagement surfaces.
    it's not critical at all, as it purely determines the difference between hi and low power.. a few mil in either direction not an issue.

Or

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    it's not critical at all, as it purely determines the difference between hi and low power.. a few mil in either direction not an issue.
    You / he could just leave it at one notch ? Just an idea to save stressing over measurements . Seem to remember these are quite low power anyway so an added thrust washer would not go amiss to compensate .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    You / he could just leave it at one notch ? Just an idea to save stressing over measurements . Seem to remember these are quite low power anyway so an added thrust washer would not go amiss to compensate .
    I only ever use mine on full power, might affect resale value though if it’s only got one slot….and it is a nice example with the original adjusts rearsight.

Matt