Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer recommendations

Dealers are there to make a living from what is their business. Therefore they have to have a margin.
    On some occasions I've been prepared to pay that bit extra for something I consider worth it.

Some of the best buys I've had at the old Bisley arms fairs, and latterly the Kempton fairs have been dealers. The best of those, is sadly no longer with us. Many will know who I mean.

I've seen guns at prices I've considered expensive, only to see them happily snapped up by buyers, not miserable because they've felt fleeced, but because the dealer has sold them the best example of what they could hope to find.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    The best of those, is sadly no longer with us. Many will know who I mean.
    I hope Keith RIP. The world of vintage airguns is so much poorer without him.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I hope Keith RIP. The world of vintage airguns is so much poorer without him.
    Yes, who can forget the wonderful stand he had at the Bisley Arms Fairs. Not only what he had on it, but also what he had in a miriad of gun bags under the table. One day I was on Keith's stand, having a chat, fellow turned up with a MK3 Supertarget he wanted to sell, Keith offered him a price, off he went, twenty minutes later after visiting all the other dealers he came back. Keith had offered the best price.

Another day, another seller turned up with a FWB or BSF, can't remember, Keith wasn't interested, as he had a few in stock, but someone like me, hanging around his stand was interested, Keith was happy to put the two together and both went away happy, that was the kind of man he was.

I see a few of these threads where people moan about the prices that dealers charge, claiming that they are too expensive.

Of course - two of the things that few prospective buyers consider is the costs of running a business, and how much the dealer may have paid for the item in the first place.

Just consider how much a tank of petrol costs these days, also business rates, insurance, staffing show stands or a shop premises etc etc etc.

Nobody holds a gun to your head, telling you you have to buy these things. It is entirely up to you, if you buy or not, or indeed if the dealer sells to you or not.

The dealer sets the price that he wants for the item, and then the prospective buyer comes along, and pays it if he wants. Maybe the buyer can negotiate a better deal, maybe not.

If you don't like it , walk away.

If you consider "bargain prices" at auction houses, then factor in the buyers premium, and costs of picking said item up ( as an increasingly number of auction houses refuse to post airguns these days). They are never quite the bargains you thought they were.

Lakey

Protek, all day long.
    Website’s oldschool but they will send you a detailed photo if requested.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Protek, all day long.

Matt
    I too would have no problem with recommending Protek based on many years of experience with them. The website may not be the shiniest example but provides sufficient honest descriptions to make a judgement on whether you have an interest in something which can be followed up with a request for photographs which they are always more than happy to provide.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Protek, all day long.

Matt
    yes but you have to pay extra for the boots 1 hour processing
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    yes but you have to pay extra for the boots 1 hour processing
    Very good.
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Yes, who can forget the wonderful stand he had at the Bisley Arms Fairs. Not only what he had on it, but also what he had in a miriad of gun bags under the table. One day I was on Keith's stand, having a chat, fellow turned up with a MK3 Supertarget he wanted to sell, Keith offered him a price, off he went, twenty minutes later after visiting all the other dealers he came back. Keith had offered the best price.

Another day, another seller turned up with a FWB or BSF, can't remember, Keith wasn't interested, as he had a few in stock, but someone like me, hanging around his stand was interested, Keith was happy to put the two together and both went away happy, that was the kind of man he was.
    The great thing about Keith was that he was an airgun collector as well as a dealer. I once had the privilege of a tour of his amazing collection up at Lutton and his enthusiasm shone through. Here was a collector first, with the dealing side of it second. We did various deals and each time he couldn't resist letting me fondle his latest wonderful acquisition (), including this remarkable Staudenmayer pistol. Happy days.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The great thing about Keith was that he was an airgun collector as well as a dealer. I once had the privilege of a tour of his amazing collection up at Lutton and his enthusiasm shone through. Here was a collector first, with the dealing side of it second. We did various deals and each time he couldn't resist letting me fondle his latest wonderful acquisition (), including this remarkable Staudenmayer pistol. Happy days.
    Keith sold me my first classic rifle ( BSA Standard , still have it and was shooting it last week ) at a Bisley Trafalgar , bumped into him several more times at Newark and at a boot sale near Boston .
    Lovely chap .

It is all in the game

I can't understand gunshow patrons who complain about tariffs would-be sellers set. It is all part of the chase. Glance at considered"over-priced" WRs or ABAS Majors. Hold your breath when you spot a Hy-score model 805 for under a hundred....buy it and the scruffy wee Milbro 'CUB' stuffed beneath it. Look for the Warrior with a home-made rear sight.....make a stern offer. Convince the seller you will NEVER find an original replacement-watch him smile as he assures that spare parts are readily available at + bay.

Im pretty new to this lark but not to buying vintage and antique machinery etc. 2/3rds of my recent purchases have been from gunshops. I do feel I paid slightly more than I perhaps could have but the rifles are in great condition and a joy to shoot. I have also dabbled in auctions and agree it is almost impossible to get a bargain there. I will probably avoid auctions for a while but am looking forward to the next collectors arms fair but am pretty certain there wont be many bargains but am hopeful there will be some harder to find items in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Coralus View Post
    Im pretty new to this lark but not to buying vintage and antique machinery etc. 2/3rds of my recent purchases have been from gunshops. I do feel I paid slightly more than I perhaps could have but the rifles are in great condition and a joy to shoot. I have also dabbled in auctions and agree it is almost impossible to get a bargain there. I will probably avoid auctions for a while but am looking forward to the next collectors arms fair but am pretty certain there wont be many bargains but am hopeful there will be some harder to find items in good condition.
    Another thing about the fairs is just eyeballing stuff, like Tim’s boxed tell2, or not one but two WR highest possibles on the same stall, one in a nice period case.

That’s all free.

Auctions can be ok or can be very salty, and there doesn’t seem much rhyme or reason to it. That said pretty much the two biggest bargains I’ve got were at auction, but in each case the seller had flooded the market.
    Morally flawed

Speaking of auctions.... the last one I went to collect an item from wanted to charge me a tenner for the privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Speaking of auctions.... the last one I went to collect an item from wanted to charge me a tenner for the privilege!
    Unbelievable!!!

I can't remember when I last bid at an auction as I'm not a fan of them.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.