Thread: Powder ?

Powder ?

With my local pistol range finally open again i took my 1858 Remington for a blatter today.
    Haven't shot BP in a couple of years and last night when i was getting everything together i realised i couldn't remember what measuring spout i had settled on.
    I took one full length spout and one shortened spout to the range and the full spout worked better, from memory the full spout was 25 grains and the shortened one was about 18 grains, i will need to check.
    From what i found online the 18 grain load should be the better target load.
    Anyway it got me thinking that Pedersoli are unlikely to be quoting loads for Kranks "cheap and cheerful".
    Its fairly difficult to get any BP here, (more likely to get Pyrodex), is it worth the not inconsiderable effort to track down some Swiss No.2 ?.
    I have plenty of Kranks "Fine" and im fairly sure IF I can find Swiss No.2 its going to involve paperwork, a bit of travel and cost me £100/kg.
    But are my groups suddenly going to be tighter than a ducks thingy ?

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    Not meaning to hijack the thread its just this is kinda related. Can gun shops mail Pyrodex to your door or is it a collection/RFD job? Hope you get the swiss stuff without having to produce a rabbit from you arse or whatever other hoops we have to jump through these days mate.

For me i have to apply to purchase explosives and tell the explosives branch where and when i will buy it, (which isn't handy when nobody has any in stock) and then its a face to face transaction at the RFD, if you miss the date or the dealer didn't get it in time you start over.
    Nitro isn't just as hard to find but even then unless a dealer has it in stock you quite often have to book it and then wait for the dealer to get it, then apply and wait for your paperwork to come through.
    Black powder is harder to get as its more difficult to transport and store so dealers are not really interested.
    Its not unusual to have to plan your shooting six to twelve months ahead, it can take a long time to pull everything together especially if its something a bit different.