Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a Camargue like to own/shoot?

Question What's a Camargue like to own/shoot?

Greeting all....... I have a hankering to add a Camargue to my collection of "guns I drooled over as a youth but couldn't afford"

I don't have any experience with the AA side-levers, so I thought I'd ask the collective - what are they like to own/shoot? Can they be easily stripped & tuned for smoothness and consistency? Are spare parts readily available?...... It wouldn't be an everyday go-to gun, but I'd still want to have an occasional session plinking with it.

I'd be looking for the best condition example I can find, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Any common weak spots?

And finally..... anyone got (or know of) a nice example that's up for sale????

Cheers

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

I understand spare parts are virtually non existent. Those that have any of the AA side levers do quite like the, perhaps they are a bit niche just like a gas ram.
    Regards,
    Dave.

They are lovely to own, spare parts are easily available and customstocks of sheffield can do a fantastic refurb on an original camargue stock complete with the correct red but pad.

Simple to strip down and work on and you can improve the performance to reduce twang etc., power was never a problem with the AA sidelevers, they are light and pointable so go for a medium sized period scope and mount it as low as you can, not too long or it will be uncomfortable to shoot.

Also consider the walnut stocked SE90, the EX88 and of course the Khamsin.

Gunstar had a reasonably priced SE90 under the title 'Minstral' worth looking at dont know if its gone yet.

HTH

Pat
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Recently won a auction for one in great shape. I have a love for tap loaders and these are the last of that era. Beautiful rifles the French Walnut stock with hand cut checkering is a treat. Bluing as good as it gets. Mine was just under the 12 FPE limit at about 11.5. Mine here in the US was sold with this scope package which works well. It was a pop to it just on the border of backyard friendly. I don’t find it twangy but you can feel the power. They are a heavy rifle. Very accurate but I’m at 60 feet in my backyard. There are a few good UTubes on these AA side levers. One man says they are better made than the Webleys of the day and I can believe that. To me it’s a keeper from function to looks, a point in time. The tap was the gentleman’s way of loading no thumb in a open breech.

https://imgur.com/a/Gmjy1fL
    Last edited by 45flint; 02-07-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Sold my thumbhole stocked Khamsin around 4yrs ago. Got £325 for it. Regret selling it ever since

AA

Always wanted the Khamsin but settled for one the lesser ones . So say all the same . And all wonderful

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    all you need to do is replace the spring with one that's a tight fit on the guide, and they shoot quite nicely.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks all...... now I just need to FIND one!!!
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Just stumbled on this thread as I have both a Camargue and a Khamsin I am thinking of selling.

The Khamsin actually has a gas ram fitted and shoots very much like a contemporary Theoben but both of them are lovely to shoot and are in excellent condition.

Feel free to PM me if interested.

https://ibb.co/7WGw1Lp

https://ibb.co/DRzp5Bh

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
    Feel free to PM me if interested.
    PM in your inbox fella.....

Dunk

Thumbs up

I like the AA sidelever rifles, The Jackals with plazzie stocks are noisy though!

Camargue, I bought this thing in the dark, The family were pretending to watch a film on telly with the lights out, Could hardly see the gun, When I got home I found out why, Some pratt had tried eliminating scope creep by attempting to weld the aluminium mounts to the steel cylinder!

Luckily the fella was about as good at welding as I am at brain surgery and quantum physics!, The snotty blobs cleaned off easily, Spoilt the blueing though!

Removed, Dressed and reblued, Not as good as original but the gun was only £70

This one is an SE90, Fabulously comfy stock on these!

I did have a Mistral but sold it years ago!

I was given a lefty project Mistral, Was going to make the stock ambi by opening up the right side of the thumbhole but got told off for even contemplating such an idea!!

I stole a few bits from the Khamsin to put a Jackal Combat together that I bought on here, It had a Theoben ram that came with it, It's one of the very few guns i've ever had to use a sash clamp to close, That ram was so hard to move!!

And the Jackal Combat..

The bits that came with it!

The tap was broken too so I took the good one from the Khamsin!, I should start a search on fleabay for the parts to get the Khamsin rebuilt!

I should have made a few taps in aluminium at work but I took redundancy at the end of last year due to covid leaving me breathless most of the time!!

Years ago I had a Woodsman (Or Woodstock), It had the long barrel, I was given a short (8") barrel so swapped it over but had to sell that as I promised a lad a Jackal and when someone else phoned, I thought it was him so I delivered the gun!, Turned out it was someone out of the blue, When the other lad phoned up he was devastated so I let him have the woody, Sold them for £30 each!..

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Great post and lovely images as ever, John.
    You most certainly do have some lovely rifles in your vast collection.
    I saw Nigel on Saturday and he told me you had retired. Hope all is good and you're feeling much better now.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

+1 Nice work on the Camargue John - you can hardly tell where the welds were

I've bought the Camargue from Phil..... just waiting (like a kid at xmas) for ParcelForce to do their thing.

As this is my first side-lever, is there anything I need to be wary of? I'm always curious about how the tap seals, and do they always close in the same position, to align the pellet into the breach, or do I need to develop a "knack"?

Cheers

Dunk

You should have it tomorrow - fingers crossed.

The taps seem pretty full proof, very positive and easy to drop the pellet in.

Hope you enjoy it

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
    You should have it tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Phil
    She just arrived safely Phil.... I've only got as far as refitting the action into the stock, but it's in lovely condition!

I'm a happy boy!!

Dunk