Thread: Daystate Huntsman Mk1 or earlier

Daystate Huntsman Mk1 or earlier

Hi. I have an old Huntsman which I am trying to charge.
    I have tried to put 3000 psi into it, but no joy.
    I think the filler valve may be stuck as I have not charged it for 30 odd years.
    I can not find any diagrams showing the valve body and it's parts, so as to get an idea of how it works.
    The valve body is tight in the main air cylinder.
    If anyone knows how this charging valve works, please let me know.

Any help or advise gratefully received.

Dave

If you pm me your email address I will send you a copy of the original manual which includes a parts list and exploded diagram

There is also quite a lot of info on t’internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxO2OuwMT2g
    Last edited by ken69; 05-07-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    after so long, and it being quite an early model, I'd be tempted to strip, inspect and service it before filling...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Daystate Huntsman

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    If you pm me your email address I will send you a copy of the original manual which includes a parts list and exploded diagram

There is also quite a lot of info on t’internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxO2OuwMT2g
    Thanks Ken. pm sent.
    I have watched this thread on You tube, this is a much later model than mine, still very helpful. Just wish I could unscrew the valve body by hand.
    Dave

Info sent. This is only an 'if' but it's a biggie - my biggest concern would be that the rifle is actually full of air and the problem lies at the other end of the rifle with the exhaust valve or the hammer mechanism. Please be careful when stripping the gun just in case

3000psi = approx 207bar. Why do you want to fill to 3000psi?

The early Huntsman was designed to operate at c 140 - 150bar.
    If you have managed to inject more than this then the rifle will not work because the pressure is too high for the valve to be opened by the hammer. I have known a Huntsman Mk1 or 2 charged to c 180 bar and the output was very low but increased with constant firing until pressure dropped to c 150 bar when it was 'on song'.

So... there is a real possibility that there is air in the rifle. I am sure someone can advise on the best safe way to release pressure

I have heard of people slowly undoing the fill valve and even releasing the fill end cylinder plug. But I have also heard of a cylinder end plug that suddenly released and punched a hole through a partition wall ....
    So, whatever, take care!
    Cheers, Phil

Daystate Huntsman

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    3000psi = approx 207bar. Why do you want to fill to 3000psi?

The early Huntsman was designed to operate at c 140 - 150bar.
    If you have managed to inject more than this then the rifle will not work because the pressure is too high for the valve to be opened by the hammer. I have known a Huntsman Mk1 or 2 charged to c 180 bar and the output was very low but increased with constant firing until pressure dropped to c 150 bar when it was 'on song'.

So... there is a real possibility that there is air in the rifle. I am sure someone can advise on the best safe way to release pressure

I have heard of people slowly undoing the fill valve and even releasing the fill end cylinder plug. But I have also heard of a cylinder end plug that suddenly released and punched a hole through a partition wall ....
    So, whatever, take care!
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil.
    I was trying to get the charging valve to open at 3000 psi, but no joy.
    Working pressure on these guns is 2000psi.
    No there was no pressure in the cylinder.
    cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Pigsearlobe View Post
    Hi Phil.
    I was trying to get the charging valve to open at 3000 psi, but no joy.
    Working pressure on these guns is 2000psi.
    No there was no pressure in the cylinder.
    cheers
    Dave
    Phew, that's a relief.
    Is the fill valve not a standard forstner fitting so that if you clamp the cylinder you can unscrew it with a suitable spanner? If I remember correctly, once the valve unit is off the cylinder end plug (don't forget the dowty washer) then the valve can be replaced as a unit (Best Fittings) or just the small valve O ring ... BS006 I think. It may be that this small O ring has 'welded' itself to the valve seat and is thus not allowing air to enter.

Daft thought: I assume you cocked the rifle before trying to fill it with air? If you don't then all air is vented out.
    Cheers, Phil

: Daystate Huntsman Mk1 or earlier

Phew, that's a relief.
    Is the fill valve not a standard forstner fitting so that if you clamp the cylinder you can unscrew it with a suitable spanner? If I remember correctly, once the valve unit is off the cylinder end plug (don't forget the dowty washer) then the valve can be replaced as a unit (Best Fittings) or just the small valve O ring ... BS006 I think. It may be that this small O ring has 'welded' itself to the valve seat and is thus not allowing air to enter.

Daft thought: I assume you cocked the rifle before trying to fill it with air? If you don't then all air is vented out.
    Cheers, Phil
    if it's the fill valve an easy fix but don't bother asking daystate for parts .

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    if it's the fill valve an easy fix but don't bother asking daystate for parts .
    No need if it is the standard forstner valve ... fairly certain Best Fittings have them and most likely other places as well.
    Cheers, Phil

Daystate Huntsman

Phew, that's a relief.

Cheers, Phil
    I was using the rifle when the pressure dropped off. Hence trying to re-charge it. Early models did not have the Forstner fitting.
    I have sorted the sticking valve.
    Hammer and tapered drift, gentle taps progressively getting harder freed it.
    Fitted a Forstner fitting with valve built in and charged it up.(Two valves in place)
    Still unable to undo the main charging valve body.
    Cheers Dave

Daystate Huntsman

Hi guys. Daystate rifle working fine. I also had to reseal my Titan cylinder.
    I will put photos up, if interested.
    Would someone tell me how to do it. In simple terms please.
    Cheers to everyone who posted
    Dave