Thread: Webley Service MkII - replacing the breech seal?

Webley Service MkII - replacing the breech seal?

I have acquired a Webley Service MkII in .22 that is in generally good order.

However, the barrel lock-up is quite loose and the bolt applies barely any tension on closing.

The current seal is completely flush with the receiver.

Would I be right in thinking that a new seal would sit somewhat proud of the receiver and thus take up the slack?

If so, is there anything one should know before buying/fitting a replacement?

I tried using these ones from Knibbs but they kept disintegrating,

https://www.airgunspares.com/23cwebl...reechseal.html

so I ended up using a yellow P.U one from T.R Robb which works very well although it’s a shame it is bright yellow. I wanted it to be a good shooter.

https://www.trrobb.com/Webley_Servic...8_9413797.aspx

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I tried using these ones from Knibbs but they kept disintegrating,

https://www.airgunspares.com/23cwebl...reechseal.html

so I ended up using a yellow P.U one from T.R Robb which works very well although it’s a shame it is bright yellow. I wanted it to be a good shooter.

https://www.trrobb.com/Webley_Servic...8_9413797.aspx

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks, Matt, that's really useful to know.

Do the Knibbs or T.R. Robb seals sit proud and give the bolt/barrel some tension on closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Thanks, Matt, that's really useful to know.

Do the Knibbs or T.R. Robb seals sit proud and give the bolt/barrel some tension on closing?
    Yes, the bolt handle closes tight, nearly touching the cylinder.

Cheers,
    Matt

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Yes, the bolt handle closes tight, nearly touching the cylinder.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Sounds good. Thanks

Is there any special knack to removing/inserting the seals?

Edit: I've just spotted there's a recent WS Mk2 breech seal thread on here: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ce-breech-seal
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 05-07-2021 at 07:34 PM. Reason: New info

Alternatively and assuming you can remove the old one intact, consider adding a shim behind it.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Sounds good. Thanks

Is there any special knack to removing/inserting the seals?
    Not really, just used a dental pick to get the old one out and then pushed the new one in and clamped the barrel bolt down tight.

I glued a machined down HW35 breech seal into the last Service I repaired.

Many thanks for all the tips and suggestions, and apologies for being away from this thread for a while.
    I've since found that, despite the presence of the retaining pin, the bolt handle on my rifle unscrews, meaning I'm able to remove the locking collar from the thread on the breech block to gain full access to the breech seal.
    This is nice, but it has also revealed a hole in the face of the breech block with a spring inside.
    I'm assuming there should also have been a plunger present, and that its absence may explain why the locking collar is a loose fit.*
    If this is the case then it's clearly a part I need to replace. Does anyone have a picture/dimensions so I can make one, or ideas as to where to find one (I've checked Knibbs/Chambers)?
    Another part whose absence I'd somehow managed to overlook is the elevation bolt/wheel for the flip-up aperture sight. All the other parts of the sight are present. Again, I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how best to make this good.

*I did the disassembly inside a large poly bag in case anything went "ping", but nothing did, so the part was presumably long-gone by that point.

The spring/plunger on the breech face of the Service rifle is there purely to keep the breech lock collar tight on the threads, and to stop it from wobbling about when not locked. It's absence should not effect the rifles ability to shoot once the breech is locked.
    I have some scans of original drawings for the rifle, but the spring/plunger does not seem to be amongst them
    The original breech seal would have been an orange fibre seal with a brass collar behind it, and I have scans of original drawings for both these parts.
    A good breech seal should allow the breech lock lever ball to be at least 1/4" away from the cylinder when locked. If it's nearly touching then the breech seal is on it's way out.