Thread: NRA Safety Notice e-mail regarding hand loaded ammunition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overload or underload

Seen several incidents of overcharging of cartridges and/or using the wrong powder... guy loaded 40gns of N110 instead of 40 gns of N140... the explosion was spectacular.. never seen a pressure problem with too little powder.. reduced loads using fast shotgun powders are the norm on many ranges and I have never seen a pressure problem.. reduced loads with slow rifle powders might be the problem but nobody seems to understand the problem.

amc577

I can see the temptation to use a smaller quantity of a different powder - particularly for plinking or where you need to under-load due to energy limitations at a particular range.

Found this in the Vihavouri website:

https://www.vihtavuori.com/wp-conten...NG_ROW_www.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    never seen a pressure problem with too little powder.. .. reduced loads with slow rifle powders might be the problem but nobody seems to understand the problem.

amc577
    But nonetheless there is a problem and the root cause is known even if the process is not fully understood.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

The burn system of different powders

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

A useful article on the burn system of different powders... Ball and rod powders are more of a problem in reduced loads.. I have experienced problems with reduced loads of 2400, a fine ball powder.

amc577