Thread: BSA No 12 Sight

BSA No 12 Sight

Looking for advice on tightening the slider , it drops after each shot .
    Regards

Could you pop a picture up of the sight?

Can't think of what the no.12 looks like, I can think of the BSA no. 12 rifle but even a quick search didn't jog the grey matter into action. A picture & conformation of the loose bit might help find a suggestion or two.

Ideally, the slider needs to be removed from the body of the sight and then gently tightened before it is re-mounted.

I've not taken one apart, so can't advise on how best to do so.

I once owned a shiny refinished No 3 Bore with the same issue and used black insulating tape to create extra friction, which worked up to a point.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Could you pop a picture up of the sight?

Can't think of what the no.12 looks like, I can think of the BSA no. 12 rifle but even a quick search didn't jog the grey matter into action. A picture & conformation of the loose bit might help find a suggestion or two.
    I will see what I can do !

edbear2 Guest
    It should have a small jib spring on one side to take up any lash / stop it moving but still let it slide.......a good one should be quite stiff in operation (o'er matron in your best Kenneth Williams

If you tap out the pivot pin and drop the slider / aperture head down and off the upright frame, you can then tension the spring carefully with small long nosed pliers, just put a bit of "set" into it.

Also as John says a very careful squeeze of the sides also will help.

The number 12 is the one which drops into a milled pocket on the trigger block and has a leaf spring secured with a screw to ensure positive elevation as per;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607860743867/

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    It should have a small jib spring on one side to take up any lash / stop it moving but still let it slide.......a good one should be quite stiff in operation (o'er matron in your best Kenneth Williams

If you tap out the pivot pin and drop the slider / aperture head down and off the upright frame, you can then tension the spring carefully with small long nosed pliers, just put a bit of "set" into it.

Also as John says a very careful squeeze of the sides also will help.

The number 12 is the one which drops into a milled pocket on the trigger block and has a leaf spring secured with a screw to ensure positive elevation as per;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607860743867/

ATB, Ed
    Many thanks for that , exactly the info I needed .
    I am looking for a BSA with a No 8 sight if anyone knows of any .
    Regards

The number 12 is the one which drops into a milled pocket on the trigger block and has a leaf spring secured with a screw to ensure positive eleva........

ATB, Ed[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the picture edbear2, that's the one with pvertical adjustment but without any screw type lateral/ wind age adjustment isn't it?

As has been said have a look to see if the jib spring is there & ok. I think these sights can be a little stiff to adjust sometimes & once set up aren't or weren't usually moved about much...not knowing the history of your example maybe it's possible someone relieved it a little to make range adjustments easier? Don't know. But I'd check the spring first then have a look to see if there's any file marks etc if someone has fiddled with it in the past & maybe go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
    Many thanks for that , exactly the info I needed .
    I am looking for a BSA with a No 8 sight if anyone knows of any .
    Regards
    I think Tim Dyson had one at Kempton. He has way more airguns available than the ones listed on his website, so it's worth getting in touch with Tim.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think Tim Dyson had one at Kempton. He has way more airguns available than the ones listed on his website, so it's worth getting in touch with Tim.

John
    His stand at Newark only had a few rifles , lots of pistols .
    I wish he would keep his site up to date .
    Regards

edbear2 Guest
    Thanks for the picture edbear2, that's the one with pvertical adjustment but without any screw type lateral/ wind age adjustment isn't it?

As has been said have a look to see if the jib spring is there & ok. I think these sights can be a little stiff to adjust sometimes & once set up aren't or weren't usually moved about much...not knowing the history of your example maybe it's possible someone relieved it a little to make range adjustments easier? Don't know. But I'd check the spring first then have a look to see if there's any file marks etc if someone has fiddled with it in the past & maybe go from there.

Mines as it left BSA, I have replaced the spring screw only. These are the best of the apertures IMHO if stiff, as they are direct to metal, and not stock mounted with all the issues that come with that. Windage obviously is done by moving the foresight, but unless your compression cylinder holes are very worn or trigger block very loose, they come back to zero perfectly after taking apart in all the ones I have seen.

Mine goes 6 yards to 60 yards with adjustment to spare on this gun which does a tad over 700 fps...The foresight is a ring/post and home made ring onto blade which I did for bell target.

ATB, Ed

Mines as it left BSA, I have replaced the spring screw only. These are the best of the apertures IMHO if stiff, as they are direct to metal, and not stock mounted with all the issues that come with that. Windage obviously is done by moving the foresight, but unless your compression cylinder holes are very worn or trigger block very loose, they come back to zero perfectly after taking apart in all the ones I have seen.

Mine goes 6 yards to 60 yards with adjustment to spare on this gun which does a tad over 700 fps...The foresight is a ring/post and home made ring onto blade which I did for bell target.

ATB, Ed
    All done , the job's a good 'un . Just had to bend the jib spring .
    Someone asked me for photos so I took a couple but can't work out how to put them on .
    Thanks for the help .
    Regards

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
    All done , the job's a good 'un . Just had to bend the jib spring .
    Someone asked me for photos so I took a couple but can't work out how to put them on .
    Thanks for the help .
    Regards
    Hi, you have to use a 3rd party hosting site like Flikr etc....funnily enough I have just done some pics, I pulled the old girl out after maybe 5 years storage, still shoots single hole grops, and I was mistaken about the modification, I had in fact eased out the oval at the base to allow close up shooting..It will shoot to 5 yards actually, the frame is marked to 40 yards but it goes higher as I have shot it at far further, or maybe my mind is playing tricks

Photos here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...h/51197658689/

ATB, Ed

Hi, you have to use a 3rd party hosting site like Flikr etc....funnily enough I have just done some pics, I pulled the old girl out after maybe 5 years storage, still shoots single hole grops, and I was mistaken about the modification, I had in fact eased out the oval at the base to allow close up shooting..It will shoot to 5 yards actually, the frame is marked to 40 yards but it goes higher as I have shot it at far further, or maybe my mind is playing tricks

Photos here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...h/51197658689/

ATB, Ed
    Mine too is marked to 40 yards but is right for 50 at the top of it's travel. That appears to deliberately built in at manufacture and is actually spot on at that range. The diopter was originally drilled out no.61 morse when I got it but I have opened mine up to no.56 because it suits my eyesight better

The no.12 is a very neat compact sight, excellent for fine work, & the attachment method is both secure & reliable making it a desirable option.