Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a HW35k from a member on here and I’m pleased with the overall condition, it has a very nice unusual (?) stock from what I can see from perusing the bbs & tinternet

The condition of the metal work is excellent and it shoots ok but there are two things I want to sort.

Firstly it has a very pronounced twang when fired and secondly to say the cocking effort is robust is an understatement ( I’m sure I heard my left elbow creak when I first cocked it but then I’m old and joints creak a lot anyway )

I’ve taken the action out of the stock and the first impression is that the spring appears to be a square sectioned one ?? Also, having never owned a weihraugh before I’m not sure on the procedure for getting the spring and piston etc out.

Is there preload on the spring ? Im also assuming the record trigger unit has to be removed first ?

According to the Weihraugh website it was manufactured in 1991, so not a modern one ( is this good or bad ? )

The ‘enhanced’ finger grooves on the for-end don’t seem to match any images I can find anywhere but it doesn’t look custom made either.
    The stock is also a very nice dark colour and has quite a nice grain, with a shiny finish.

Anyway I’ve added a few pics and if anyone could help with suggestions etc, I’d be most grateful

Norm

It looks like an Ox spring. To be honest, I wouldn't even use one of those as a gate closer. Definitely use a spring compressor when you strip it. The record trigger has to be removed by drifting out the two cross pins, make sure you keep a finger on the safety button when you remove it as it can spring out and get lost.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have an Hw35 arriving soon and it's first job will be to star in a strip-down video. If you're not sorted by then please watch the vid and ring me if needed. Or just ring over the weekend if you are terminally bored, it's quite possible there is very little preload and that is the cause of the twang

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    It looks like an Ox spring. To be honest, I wouldn't even use one of those as a gate closer. Definitely use a spring compressor when you strip it. The record trigger has to be removed by drifting out the two cross pins, make sure you keep a finger on the safety button when you remove it as it can spring out and get lost.

Neil
    Thanks for the info Neil, I suspected an Ox spring when I saw the cross section but wasn’t sure if any others were like that. I think that’s probably why the cocking effort is so hard !

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have an Hw35 arriving soon and it's first job will be to star in a strip-down video. If you're not sorted by then please watch the vid and ring me if needed. Or just ring over the weekend if you are terminally bored!
    Haha, thanks for that even if I start I’d still like to see that video ! Out of interest do you do any of your famous tuning kits for one of these ?
    I’m guessing at the very least it’ll need a new spring, better spring guide and possibly a top hat !

Norm

Neil, am I right in thinking that having carefully drifted out those two pins the end section of the action unscrews ? If it does I’ll see if I can rig up something using a large sash clamp, suitably padded of course

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Neil, am I right in thinking that having carefully drifted out those two pins the end section of the action unscrews ? If it does I’ll see if I can rig up something using a large sash clamp, suitably padded of course

Norm
    If you watch the hw80 strip down video on the website it is essentially the same. The new 35 specific video will cover the spring room variation and how to work it out. This should save me an hour a week phone time.

Remove trigger, unscrew rear block 3/4 of the way and you should be able to "feel" any preload by wiggling the trigger block, or if you are an advanced student, poking a screwdriver into the spring coils and testing the pressure.

In honesty I would expect the spring to be rattling around in there by this point

Norm
    You can actually remove the rear block without removing the trigger, if you cock the trigger first.
    The trigger must be cocked without cocking the mechanism, if that makes any sense. It is done by pushing p on the sear in front of the trigger housing. When this is done, just unscrew the rear block, and be careful with the preload the spring may be under.
    Too many airguns!

CAUTION The slot were the trigger unit fits can have razor sharp edges. A few mins dressing them down saves the digits. I also make sure the trigger retaining pins slide back nicely.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

If you watch the hw80 strip down video on the website it is essentially the same. The new 35 specific video will cover the spring room variation and how to work it out. This should save me an hour a week phone time.

Remove trigger, unscrew rear block 3/4 of the way and you should be able to "feel" any preload by wiggling the trigger block, or if you are an advanced student, poking a screwdriver into the spring coils and testing the pressure.

In honesty I would expect the spring to be rattling around in there by this point
    Where about is the video for the Hw80 strip down ?

Not sure if I’m classed as an advanced student but I have stripped down an Original 66 and a 75 sorted them out including adjusting the mechanism to allow the 75 to fire. I did get quite a bit of help on here though

Where about is the video for the Hw80 strip down ?

Not sure if I’m classed as an advanced student but I have stripped down an Original 66 and a 75 sorted them out including adjusting the mechanism to allow the 75 to fire. I did get quite a bit of help on here though
    Unfortunately I can't provide links to help members, but a quick google of tinbum or tbt along with air guns should take you in the right direction

I have a youtube channel too, but that is full of silly, irrelevant nonsense! https://youtu.be/JiifU0Z-AVI

Unfortunately I can't provide links to help members, but a quick google of tinbum or tbt along with air guns should take you in the right direction

I have a youtube channel too, but that is full of silly, irrelevant nonsense! https://youtu.be/JiifU0Z-AVI
    Thanks Nick, I’ve just been watching some of your YouTube videos on stripping the 80 and also on short stroking, may I say they’re excellent, straight forward, easy to understand and in real time too which is nice, plus no silly music !!!

I think I now know where to start on the 35k

Cheers,

Norm

Did weihrauch at one point not fit square section springs ?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Did weihrauch at one point not fit square section springs ?
    They did and the date fits. They had a nice rounded edge and were an almost golden colour iirc

They did and the date fits. They had a nice rounded edge and were an almost golden colour iirc
    Interestingly chambers advertise several springs for the Hw35 inc two Ox springs. Once apart I can decide what to do but I do know I want to reduce the cocking effort considerably !

No comments on the stock yet. I’m curious about the forend finger grip as I can’t find anything like it on any pics of 35’s ?

Norm