Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I got mine today. Yay

I only got in an hour ago so I don't have the enthusiasm to do the video this evening, tomorrow will do.
    I did pull it apart, obviously! Apart from the expected dreadfullness there was a spring direct from a biro pen, really thin and weedy. And short! This is a German spec gun and when tested it was doing a godawful 5.2 ft/lb with a helluva twang!

I got one of my HW35 springs and put it in the piston, hmm, very tight? A thick piston sleeve has been put in in a failed attempt to kill the reverbarations. That came out and a genuine spring with seven coils removed, fitted guides and a 12mm piston extension went in. I chose seven coils as that made it sit flush in the compression tube, so 25mm of preload when screwed together and easy to rebuild.

Anyway, that aside it is now doing a very pleasant, and I mean verging of Hw30-esque, 6.5 ft/lb. the extra weight means there is no noticeable recoil and the sight image stays clear through the Gamo diopter.

I've fired maybe 50 shots down in my range since doing it. I really am enjoying shooting it, much more than looking at it at least

This is a genuine 10m unsupported standing group by me!

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice, I’m sure the looks will grow on you

I’d also like to say thanks to you and everyone else who’s helped me out with mine over the last few days

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    good result, so a new seal, two coils off, and still 11 FP.........knock another coil off. Worst case it'll be 10, but more than likely still over 10.5 If you want to squeeze it back up, adding a slip washer in is a good idea anyways.
    Absolutely.. And as high as 11.6! And that new seal has got to run in, as you mention. I'd most definitely be knocking a coil off to reduce the cocking effort, check power, and be sure to revisit after another 500 shots and then, say, 1500, just to be really sure.

Nice one, Norm. And cheers for the comments re the heads up on the FTT and Hobby.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got mine today. Yay

I only got in an hour ago so I don't have the enthusiasm to do the video this evening, tomorrow will do.
    I did pull it apart, obviously! Apart from the expected dreadfullness there was a spring direct from a biro pen, really thin and weedy. And short! This is a German spec gun and when tested it was doing a godawful 5.2 ft/lb with a helluva twang!

I got one of my HW35 springs and put it in the piston, hmm, very tight? A thick piston sleeve has been put in in a failed attempt to kill the reverbarations. That came out and a genuine spring with seven coils removed, fitted guides and a 12mm piston extension went in. I chose seven coils as that made it sit flush in the compression tube, so 25mm of preload when screwed together and easy to rebuild.

Anyway, that aside it is now doing a very pleasant, and I mean verging of Hw30-esque, 6.5 ft/lb. the extra weight means there is no noticeable recoil and the sight image stays clear through the Gamo diopter.

I've fired maybe 50 shots down in my range since doing it. I really am enjoying shooting it, much more than looking at it at least

[IMG][/IMG]
    Me so happy that you're so happy and we have another HW35 convert.. Nice one, sir. The shooting characteristics sound most excellent..Keep practising and those groups will surely tighten up, too. What pellets has Mr Bum been using?

I must say that I do think that that shade of stain on the stock is very pleasing. Really suits it. And keep checking that that Gamo sight doesn't move in the dovetails. I do think it looks really nice atop your rifle. They can slide a little on some springers, although the mild manners on yours may not harass it one iota.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Well, I decided to take another coil off the spring this afternoon and it’s certainly made the cocking effort better but has dropped the power with the FTT pellets down to an average of 9.3ftlns which was surprising, with a spread of 9.2-9.5 and only 9ft/sec spread.

Arguable it’s actually more consistent now so I’ll leave it where it is. I can always add a slip washer or two if I wanted to bring the power back up
    It’s only going to be used for target and fun shooting and I have easier and quieter guns to use for hunting if I want to

Out of interest, does anyone know why silencer adaptors aren’t listed as available for Weihrauch guns with grooved front site barrels ? I’ve just tried the 15.1mm one off my Remington Express Compact and it works perfectly with a Weihrauch silencer !

Norm

Ft/sec

Give it a go with the Hobby too, Norm.

Sounding nice as is, but as mentioned earlier, the power should also rise a little as the new seal runs in.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Sounding nice as is, but as mentioned earlier, the power should also rise a little as the new seal runs in.
    yup.. especially as you'd had a relatively large power drop, which almost certainly means the reduced preload is causing the piston to stall much earlier, so a lighter pellet should help.. also try Falcon accuracy Plus - light and soft, with a low start pressure, so sould give a good uplift and a nicer shot cycle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yes it would be nice if it came up a bit but I’m not too fussed. I’d did put a few hobby’s through and they gave an average of about 9.6ftlbs

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup.. especially as you'd had a relatively large power drop, which almost certainly means the reduced preload is causing the piston to stall much earlier, so a lighter pellet should help.. also try Falcon accuracy Plus - light and soft, with a low start pressure, so sould give a good uplift and a nicer shot cycle.
    Yes I was surprised how far it went down for just one coil off ? I might try one slip washer and see if that’s a good compromise between power and cocking effort.
    I’ve never heard of those falcon pellets, I’ll have a look for them.

Interestingly, the FTT pellets in 5.53 fit nicely in the 35 but the heads won’t even go in on my Remington Express Compact
    I did wonder if maybe they are a bit tight once they’re heading out ? Given the hobby’s are listed as 5.5(0?) maybe FTT’s in 5.51 might be worth a go, it would be interesting to get a few FTTs in different head sizes and see what the results are.

Norm
    Ps - found a large butt shaped bruise on the top of my right leg this morning where I’d been resting it to cock it when it was more effort

Generally the Hobby and the Falcon Accuracy Plus (I think I also suggested the JSB Jumbo RS earlier in the thread, which I think may well be the same pellet as the FAP?) will give the highest energy figures. The smaller (stated) head size FTT may be slightly smaller. But not sure. Think we discussed that one earlier, too? It would be very interesting if they did turn out to be slightly smaller and yield more power, though.

I think I'd be fitting that extra washer (as Jon mentioned earlier) for a tad extra preload and to give an additional bearing, get the power to where you feel acceptable as regards power vs cocking effort (most likely achieved with the FAP/RS/Hobby) but then choose the pellet based on accuracy testing.
    Last edited by TonyL; 17-07-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Ps - found a large butt shaped bruise on the top of my right leg this morning :
    Er, should you be mentioning that here?:

Er, should you be mentioning that here?:
    Haha, at least I didn’t upload any pictures

Brought it home to me how hard it was to cock, so to speak !

I’m still curious about the stock with the larger than usual ‘fluted’ finger grip, I’ve yet to see any others like it on the net. I wonder if anyone on here has one like it ? I’m guessing it’s not walnut is it ? Or maybe stained beech ? Whatever it is it has a nice grain to it, a few small marks here and there but not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post

I’m still curious about the stock with the larger than usual ‘fluted’ finger grip, I’ve yet to see any others like it on the net. I wonder if anyone on here has one like it ? I’m guessing it’s not walnut is it ? Or maybe stained beech ? Whatever it is it has a nice grain to it, a few small marks here and there but not too bad.

I haven't personally ever seen one with those extra grooves and larger depth, Norm. I'd guess that the stock is very nicely figured beech. The stock on my endearing old knackerbag is similarly very nicely figured.

I haven't personally ever seen one with those extra grooves and larger depth, Norm. I'd guess that the stock is very nicely figured beech. The stock on my endearing old knackerbag is similarly very nicely figured.
    Landymick said that the second series Safari’s had a similar stock but tinged green but I haven’t found one of those either?

I do like it though, especially as it’s a bit more unique than the normal ones, I guess that makes it a keeper

Most definitely a keeper, Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got mine today. Yay

[IMG][/IMG]
    C'mon then, Nick. Tell us. Are you loving it or what?