Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Most definitely a keeper, Norm.
    Yes !
    I’ve ordered up a tin of the FAP pellets and also a silencer adaptor. I may just make up a screw in muzzle break instead of a silencer to help with the cocking effort. With an adaptor on at least I have a choice

It'll be interesting to hear of the results with the FAPs, Norm.. And, as mentioned a little earlier, please double check that the cocking linkage isn't worn / been bent through over-enthusiastic cocking of strong springs, as the drag in this area can significantly increase the cocking effort..
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It'll be interesting to hear of the results with the FAPs, Norm.. And, as mentioned a little earlier, please double check that the cocking linkage isn't worn / been bent through over-enthusiastic cocking of strong springs, as the drag in this area can significantly increase the cocking effort..
    I did have a look at the cocking linkage when it was first mentioned, it seems to be ok and has the little roller in the middle. When I put it back each time I make sure there’s a smear of grease on the area where it slides, and also on the cocking shoe.

There is a fine wear line in the blueing on top of the linkage, I think it’s where the spring steel ‘tongue’ on the stock mount tunnel rubs and again I smear grease on this as well.

As long as the movement seems smooth and unhindered all should be fine then, Norm.. And a little moly grease / paste is always a good idea.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

As long as the movement seems smooth and unhindered all should be fine then, Norm.. And a little moly grease / paste is always a good idea.
    Yup, bit of bumslide on all those little moving parts

I do know that stuff is hard to get out from under your nails !!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Yup, bit of bumslide on all those little moving parts

I do know that stuff is hard to get out from under your nails !!
    that's how it got it's name
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    that's how it got it's name

Weihrauch HW35

I would recommend either Tinbum or Welsh Willy kits.Both are good and should give a twang free firing cycle.
    The online videos for HW 80 is essentially the same as for HW35.

An old HW35 will likely have a leather piston washer which tend to be poor from both a power and consistency perspective so get a replacement parachute seal piston washer.

Ox springs are in my experience best avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardolamos View Post
    I would recommend either Tinbum or Welsh Willy kits.Both are good and should give a twang free firing cycle.
    The online videos for HW 80 is essentially the same as for HW35.

An old HW35 will likely have a leather piston washer which tend to be poor from both a power and consistency perspective so get a replacement parachute seal piston washer.

Ox springs are in my experience best avoided.
    Totally agree, mines a different animal altogether now Just need to mention that if you have the old leather piston seal and you want to change to the new style parachute one, you also need the converter to do this, or change the entire piston over to the newer style

Converter and new piston seal will be about £31 + postage from chambers site.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Totally agree, mines a different animal altogether now Just need to mention that if you have the old leather piston seal and you want to change to the new style parachute one, you also need the converter to do this, or change the entire piston over to the newer style

Converter and new piston seal will be about £31 + postage from chambers site.
    the converter is a bad idea - it shorten the stroke even more than the leather version, and makes the piston even heavier = crap. Just get a new synthetic type piston, or if you have the facilities, machine the leather sealed piston nose down and make a new nose for it on the lathe.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    the converter is a bad idea - it shorten the stroke even more than the leather version, and makes the piston even heavier = crap. Just get a new synthetic type piston, or if you have the facilities, machine the leather sealed piston nose down and make a new nose for it on the lathe.
    Sorry I didn’t realise they were that bad

There is a complete replacement later model piston and seal on there.

Sorry I didn’t realise they were that bad

There is a complete replacement later model piston and seal on there.
    Yep, avoid the leather seal to synthetic seal like the plague--- they're crap.

With a bit of machining the leather sealed piston can be long stroked to 71mm and a lightweight adaptor can be used, but the piston still ends up heavier than the genuine HW synthetic sealed piston.

On the last 35 I nailed together I made my own piston :-

image.jpg

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....56#post7598956

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

On the last 35 I nailed together I made my own piston :-

image.jpg

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....56#post7598956

All the best Mick
    Not sure if "nailed together" is the most accurate way of describing a famed T20 build, Mick?

excellent reading..... reminded me of my old hw77 venom vantage in .177.
    i used crosman premiers 7.9gn pellets in it and was super accurate and i used to beat every week the lads in my group who all had pneumatics....
    rules were on the ht course we all took standing shots only.
    one day i decided to chrono it at home and it was doing 17 or 19ftlb
    i then changed to the heavier 10.4 gn die 4 versions to lower the power but it didnt.
    some of you may remember a shooter called paul hudson at p.a,r.c club who had a tuned hw97 and these pellets were exactly same in his with huge power increase.
    the pellets were a very tight fit in our bores.
    in the end i chopped off coils and tested and even with no preload it was still above 12ftlb so i dismantled the rifle lol
    enjoyed reading this norm

Did you ever check the power output of the Vantage on another chrono as those power figures seem very high?

Do you still have it?

If so, maybe it's time for a re-build and re-acquaint yourself with this beautiful rifle. If you wanted to keep it more in line with its Venom heritage, Lyn Lewington (venoman on here) may be able to supply a V-Mach kit for it? Tinbum and Welsh Willy kits also available. All will deliver a very nice and refined shooting experience befitting the old girl. And it should be easy to set it up so that it's comfortably under the limit.

P.S....good lad re whupping those PCPs.