Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    They did and the date fits. They had a nice rounded edge and were an almost golden colour iirc
    I'm sure I saw it on here of the WOC years ago. .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I'm sure I saw it on here of the WOC years ago. .
    The early MK1 HW97k used a square section mainspring but I've never heard of any other Weihrauch using one.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    No comments on the stock yet. I’m curious about the forend finger grip as I can’t find anything like it on any pics of 35’s ?

Norm
    Never seen one in the flesh, but I have seen photos of 35's with those grooves in the forend.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Never seen one in the flesh, but I have seen photos of 35's with those grooves in the forend.
    Do you happen to know if it’s a genuine Weihrauch one or an aftermarket version ?

No comments on the stock yet. I’m curious about the forend finger grip as I can’t find anything like it on any pics of 35’s ?

Norm
    Just by replacing the spring and a set of delrin spring guides will change the rifle for you straight away and make it feel like another rifle. As people have said Bon the ox spring there no good really in sub 12 guns

Quote Originally Posted by Kevmcc View Post
    Just by replacing the spring and a set of delrin spring guides will change the rifle for you straight away and make it feel like another rifle. As people have said Bon the ox spring there no good really in sub 12 guns
    Yes, I’ve just finished stripping it down and the spring ( in my humble opinion ) is way to long and powerful for this little rifle !

Do you happen to know if it’s a genuine Weihrauch one or an aftermarket version ?

Genuine HW, I think they only did that style of stock for a very short time.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Genuine HW, I think they only did that style of stock for a very short time.
    Hmmm might have something a tad rare then

Is you piston seal synthetic? Spring for .177 should be 215/220 x 23 OD x 3.6 wire x 28 coil x 54 lb/inch rate

Right, rather than sit watching the box all evening I decided to head to the workshop and strip the 35 beastie

The main spring had quite a bit of preload, about 25mm and is indeed a square section one. Whether it’s an Ox one or not I don’t know ?

Following the TBT guide on the HW80 it didn’t take long to have it all in bits, rather than fudge up a spring compressor I settled for wrapping it in a big thick towel and unscrewing it, it wasn’t as bad as I thought either.

The breech end seems to have some slight wear on the top right hand side and the transfer port end had quite a bit of wear, presumably where the latch rubs ?

The good thing is it’s got the later type synthetic piston seal and the internals look in good condition. The piston is going to need a good clean and polish ( The TBT method looks good ), and I’ll give the cylinder a good degrease as well.

What I really need now from the good folks on here is advice on what spring to use ? I’m not after lots of power 10 - 10.5ftlbs would be plenty, my main concern is no or minimal twang and a smooth easy cocking effort.

I know I’ll need a new spring guide & top hat and I may as well fit a new piston seal and breech seal at the same time.

I’ve taken photos and loads of measurements if this would help in any ideas or suggestions.

This is what I’ve got so far.

Spring.
    28.5 coils, square section approx 3.67mm, ID 15.72mm OD 23mm Length 217mm

Piston.
    Length inc seal 122mm, Dia, seal end ~29.25mm, latch end ~ 29.7mm ( where the ‘wear’ is )

Barrel, 410mm, Transfer port 5mm

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Is you piston seal synthetic? Spring for .177 should be 215/220 x 23 OD x 3.6 wire x 28 coil x 54 lb/inch rate
    Whoops sorry, should’ve said it’s a 0.22

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    CAUTION The slot were the trigger unit fits can have razor sharp edges. A few mins dressing them down saves the digits. I also make sure the trigger retaining pins slide back nicely.
    Cheers I.J. That trigger slot is certainly sharp ! I carefully took an old car points file to the edges and it’s no longer a finger slicer

That transfer port sounds mahoosive and will need sleeving down to (circa) 3.2 to 3.4mm?

Spring and guide kits? Tinbum, Welsh Willy or a V-Mach one from Lyn Lewington if he has any remaining? And I'd be replacing the piston and breech seals (which you had already mentioned) and the barrel shims for good measure.
    Last edited by TonyL; 10-07-2021 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Seals.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That transfer port sounds mahoosive and will need sleeving down to (circa) 3.2 to 3.4mm?
    yup. I saw the huge TP marks on the end of the piston seal too - it's obviously slamming. Looks like 5mm - crazy.

It's long, so defo sleave it down to 3mm ish or it's always going to shoot horribly and with low power. Explains the recoil and harsh cycle too.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Maybe also worth changing the barrel latch spring?

I wonder if those horizontal markings in the "wear groove" from the barrel latch on the cylinder end occurred due to striction in the latch? Good idea to clean that latch recess and lube. Not sure if that wear groove can be tidied a little somehow? I've never had to do it. Guessing one of our engineers will have......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!