Thread: BSA Meteor Mk1 .177

BSA Meteor Mk1 .177

I recently acquired a remarkably good example of this iconic model which replaced the sturdier and more aesthetically pleasing Cadet Major in 1959. I was quite surprised to see it is fitted with a synthetic ‘O ring’ breech seal rather than a leather one as the rifle seems to be all original.
    Did the early Meteors have leather breech seals fitted originally and is it possible the synthetic one has been fitted subsequently? ..... approximately what year did it become customary to have synthetic ones factory fitted and what Makes and Models were produced that had this more modern feature??

Cheers, Graeme

Back to the top to see if they’ll be some answers...

i have an immaculate one somewhere

mk1

both the mk 1s i have,.177 .22 both have leather washers

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I recently acquired a remarkably good example of this iconic model which replaced the sturdier and more aesthetically pleasing Cadet Major in 1959. I was quite surprised to see it is fitted with a synthetic ‘O ring’ breech seal rather than a leather one as the rifle seems to be all original.
    Did the early Meteors have leather breech seals fitted originally and is it possible the synthetic one has been fitted subsequently? ..... approximately what year did it become customary to have synthetic ones factory fitted and what Makes and Models were produced that had this more modern feature??

Cheers, Graeme
    I don't know about the Meteor specifically, Graeme, but I do know that synthetic seals were in use as standard in some German match rifles, like the Walthers, around that time and even earlier. The very first Walthers, from 1951 or so, had leather washers but they soon switched over and stayed with synthetic thereafter, although the early ones weren't very long-lasting.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I would surmise that if a leather ring could be made to fit the narrow and deep trepanning of a Meteor breech it would be unlikely to provide much of a seal.
    From observation I rather doubt that Mk1s - however early - had any different machining in that respect, and so would surely have had the specifically designed polyurethane seal with air groove from the word go.

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    I would surmise that if a leather ring could be made to fit the narrow and deep trepanning of a Meteor breech it would be unlikely to provide much of a seal.
    From observation I rather doubt that Mk1s - however early - had any different machining in that respect, and so would surely have had the specifically designed polyurethane seal with air groove from the word go.
    Thanks for your responses folks and as Farsight says above, the nature of the circular breech seal recess looks like it would be designed to take a synthetic ‘O-ring’ seal right from the start of its manufacturing history commencing in 1959.
    As you mentioned Garvin, some of the German manufacturers were installing them several years prior to this, which is hardly surprising as Diana, Walther, Anschutz and Weihrauch etc were developing and refining Airguns at an astonishing rate with all kinds of innovations due to the prevention of firearms manufacturing in Germany after World War 2 and Airguns were the only kind they were allowed to make from the early 50’s I believe. As a result of this restriction, Germany’s production of Airguns were streets ahead in quality and design compared to their competitors.

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/fea...eteor-journey/

“the Meteor MkI, which has a leather piston washer with a neoprene buffer sandwiched between two steel-bearing washers situated behind”

apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/fea...eteor-journey/

“the Meteor MkI, which has a leather piston washer with a neoprene buffer sandwiched between two steel-bearing washers situated behind”

apparently.
    Thanks Geezer for posting the link to the article on the history of the Meteor Mk1 and the telescopic sights that were available for them , which in effect, started the trend for equipping air rifles with scope sights. ...fascinating stuff! 😎