Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rapid 7 22 never fails

that we can my friend

We have 170 members in our club and as a rough estimate based on conversations, 60% hunt, i haven't seen a rapid there in over a decade.

Honestly not trying to pick a fight but there are a lot of newbies who read these threads and it would be incorrect to advise a new shooter to buy a rapid. I could imagine the flaming if you were on another sire and recommended a GC2 to someone looking to start Field target.

BTW.......when i got back into airrifles around 20 years ago my first rifle was a rapid 17.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    You are right I never seem to see Theobens at LVAGC.
    However my MFR (just got it) seems as accurate over 65 yards as anything around me up to and including Steyrs. Only shooting at mints and chalk men so no paper to compare, but the pellets consistently go straight
    Pete

i was on about hunting and nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    We have 170 members in our club and as a rough estimate based on conversations, 60% hunt, i haven't seen a rapid there in over a decade.

Honestly not trying to pick a fight but there are a lot of newbies who read these threads and it would be incorrect to advise a new shooter to buy a rapid. I could imagine the flaming if you were on another sire and recommended a GC2 to someone looking to start Field target.

BTW.......when i got back into airrifles around 20 years ago my first rifle was a rapid 17.
    Not sure about being wrong ' Its a bit like saying recommend a hw100 not taking into consideration how many fail' I still wouldn't say it would be wrong to recommend a hw100' You recommend what you find best ' if what you suggest keeps popping up then it must be half decent' We are on a gun forum not a motorbike forum ' it's about the best place to get shooters views and opinions'

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I also think it's about reliability and servicability... some of the modern stuff may arguably be better, but can be a nightmare to repair. Anything by FX, for example...

It's like comparing an old 80 series landcruiser to a modern range rover; which one is better ? The rangie has all the mod cons drives smoother, faster, more frugal, more power. But if I'm going into the bush, I'll take the landcruiser every time
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

still got my rapid 17 that i got off you john many years ago at jcn21 of m25, although i now use a cricket in .22 for most of my ratting i would never get rid of my rapid.
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    i thought long and hard as my rapid was totaly original mk1,but then i got the gauge and quick fill fitted makes life much easier now with the rapid
    Well in that case its not totally original then.....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    i was on about hunting and nothing else
    "We have 170 members in our club and as a rough estimate based on conversations, 60% hunt, i haven't seen a rapid there in over a decade"
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    "We have 170 members in our club and as a rough estimate based on conversations, 60% hunt, i haven't seen a rapid there in over a decade"
    that's 'cos your club is a bit too snobby
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    that's 'cos your club is a bit too snobby
    I am genuinely surprised as i would have expected at least one member to own such an iconic rifle. Clubs have quite a lot of plinkers and collectors and i've seen some weird and wonderful kit, in fact the vast majority of our target shooters will fight over having a go with a 50 year old springer or early PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I also think it's about reliability and servicability... some of the modern stuff may arguably be better, but can be a nightmare to repair. Anything by FX, for example...

It's like comparing an old 80 series landcruiser to a modern range rover; which one is better ? The rangie has all the mod cons drives smoother, faster, more frugal, more power. But if I'm going into the bush, I'll take the landcruiser every time
    Exactly , I've had motorbikes all my life , Apart from a Honda crf250l I'm driving around on a 1990 Honda h100s, In fact I've just come back from the mot station, One of my favourite bikes though in all fairness was my Honda cg125, And I've had a fair amount of sports and big trallie bikes etc etc, As with the rapid it may never be 10/10 on any point but an 8 or 9 out of 10 for everything, My air ranger is like a laser , For shot count my fx vermi was about the best , I've taken to my mk3 bbk s10 , it's a lovely little gun and it's very accurate , The rapid though is as you say , Its just a good all round gun, Reliable and easily serviceable, That's by the owner or plenty of others, The posting these days of sending a gun off can be as much as the repair or service, Just sending a rapid block off in a jiffy bag is a lot less cost and worry than sending a gun off, The next couple of years is where most of these guns will speak for themselves, The days of getting a nice rapid now for £500 is very slim ( hens teeth ) has already been added to some of the rapid adverts, There be more chance of seeing a hen with implants in a couple of years than finding a nice rapid for sale cheap,

Some funny tongue in cheek comments.
    My Mark 1 is the Rapid 17 FT with a Ben Taylor reg, fettled Gold Medal Trigger and laminated stock.
    Has superb balance and has out scored a lot of the members in your club ChrisC at both FT and HFT.

People like or dislike the Rapid and that is absolutely fine.
    The remark that makes me respond is "there are better rifles out there"!!!!
    Please define "better"!!
    What makes a rifle better than, ill use mine, my Rapid.

It has single figure consistency to match anything including my Ripley XL1.
    Shot count greater than 300, so its a fill at home and forget.
    Over 20 year old and had 2 sevices in its life, and never faulted and its had tens of thousands of rounds through it.
    Anshultz match grade barrel with a light choke, which makes it slightly pellet fussy, but doesnt qsueeze the shit out of a pellet, which adds to its consistency hence good sized pellets are superb in it.
    Shoots one hole groups at 50 yards.

Other manufacturers have copied the design and tried to improve it, but have they really, and if so how and where.
    Some other rifles might look nicer, ie my Ripper but does it make it better?
    Some rifles i.e. Steyr, where there strength is built around ergonomics, but does something that resembles a meccano experiment that has numerous adjustments equal better? After all you can add alsorts of adjustable kit to almost any rifle if needed!
    I watched one of our own World Champions grow up and win with Air Arms, then with Daystate and then with Steyr as he was sponsored by and given rifles to shoot with from these manufacturers, but which one is "better"?
    VAYA CON DIOS

well i like mine thats what counts and it still gets picked up for hunting before the fx and cricket