Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tatty Case

A lot of people do not realise that the Webley locks turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Danny,
    True you do have to press the clasp to lock the case, but it would be easy to accidentally do this in an almost unconscious action.

Brian
    I don't mean that Brian. Even with the clasp pressed you should still be able to move the slider, surely? Are you saying it locks automatically?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I don't mean that Brian. Even with the clasp pressed you should still be able to move the slider, surely? Are you saying it locks automatically?
    Hi Danny,
    I only did it once when I first got the set many years ago. From what I remember, I accidentally pushed the clasp which resulted in the lock engaging. I remember I needed to pick the lock to reopen the case, not difficult but inconvenient.
    I haven't tried it since to confirm the exact sequence of events.
    Maybe as Binners has said, it might have opened if I had turned the clasp, bit I would have thought I would have tried the before picking the lock.
    Brian

Hi Danny,
    I only did it once when I first got the set many years ago. From what I remember, I accidentally pushed the clasp which resulted in the lock engaging. I remember I needed to pick the lock to reopen the case, not difficult but inconvenient.
    I haven't tried it since to confirm the exact sequence of events.
    Maybe as Binners has said, it might have opened if I had turned the clasp, bit I would have thought I would have tried the before picking the lock.
    Brian
    It may be faulty Brian, except the piece with the key hole in the middle shouldn't turn, it should slide to the right I think.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I have 2 of these but I am certain they are reproductions and can never be as nice to own as the real thing. Has someone been turning out copies in the last 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    A lot of people do not realise that the Webley locks turn.
    maybe they do now....

It may be faulty Brian, except the piece with the key hole in the middle shouldn't turn, it should slide to the right I think.
    Hi Danny,
    Just checked the lock and whatever the technical term is for the bit where the key is inserted does turn. So, if I take a chance and close the clasp, do you think it will it will release on turning with a key only being needed to prevent this happening ?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I have 2 of these but I am certain they are reproductions and can never be as nice to own as the real thing. Has someone been turning out copies in the last 20 years?
    Dave Lewis has been making excellent reproduction Webley pistol cases for quite some time, and he always tries to obtain as near original locking mechanisms as possible, but this has more recently proved difficult, as the manufacturer no longer produces these in the UK.

Hi Danny,
    Just checked the lock and whatever the technical term is for the bit where the key is inserted does turn. So, if I take a chance and close the clasp, do you think it will it will release on turning with a key only being needed to prevent this happening ?

Brian
    It's an incredibly simple mechanism, Brian. You should be able to see before you try it for real whether, when the knob is turned (or slid, or whatever), that the bar that retains the clasp is retracted, allowing the clasp to spring open.

If you can simulate closing it first with a watchsmith's screwdriver and the bar doesn't retract, then don't risk it. Locking the case with the key should merely isolate the locking bar from the knob.

At worst, the springs that open the clasps sometimes fail with age and you can mechanically (ie. with a thumbnail - think 'brand new briefcase') pull the clasp open.
    Last edited by Garvin; 16-07-2021 at 10:04 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Some times these type of lock will seize up. a little bit of oil should to the trick. it has for me in the past.

It's an incredibly simple mechanism, Brian. You should be able to see before you try it for real whether, when the knob is turned (or slid, or whatever), that the bar that retains the clasp is retracted, allowing the clasp to spring open.

If you can simulate closing it first with a watchsmith's screwdriver and the bar doesn't retract, then don't risk it. Locking the case with the key should merely isolate the locking bar from the knob.

At worst, the springs that open the clasps sometimes fail with age and you can mechanically (ie. with a thumbnail - think 'brand new briefcase') pull the clasp open.
    Hi Danny,

I must admit I haven't bothered to investigate the lock issue further, but will take another look proceeding with care.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 17-07-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Just had proper look at the Webley case lock following Danny's advice and it seems it really is simpler than I originally believed. I remember fiddling with the case in the car park at Bisley when I first bought the set many years ago and accidentally locked the lid. I must have assumed it automatically locked as turning the lock cover failed to release the clasp. I remember I finally managed to release the catch with a pin and have left it well alone since. Thanks to Danny, I now know the latch can also be pushed to the right to release the catch which it does perfectly.
    Troubledshooter has kindly offered to send me a selection of keys (thanks David) that would have been similar to the original to see if one of them fits the lock.
    At least I can now close the lid without fear of not being able to open it again without damaging the case. Sometimes the obvious things don't enter your mind in the heat of the moment when these things happen.

Brian