Thread: Case cleaning with steel pins

Case cleaning with steel pins

Can any members provide help with cleaning cases via using steel pins please?

A few queries, how good is the finish and how long to achieve the required finish?

Any recommendations and prices for equipment and pins.

Thanks
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Have a look here

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....=Case+cleaning

I use one of these

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/stm-tu...bler-220-volt/

The results are very good and give a totally ‘shiny’ case inside and out and also the primer pocket .
    Any good rotary tumbler should be ok and obviously one could make one fairly simply
    The capacity of the drum should be in the order of 5l so you can clean a good quantity of cases at a time.
    Hope this helps
    James
    Ps pics sent by email to show results
    Last edited by JB101; 16-07-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Can any members provide help with cleaning cases via using steel pins please?

A few queries, how good is the finish and how long to achieve the required finish?

Any recommendations and prices for equipment and pins.

Thanks
    Finish is better than required for reloading, case cleaned inside and out including primer pocket. It takes from 1 hour or so to get the best finish you'll get with normal soiled cases, much longer won't help much more. Drying take a bit more time and you will want to get them thoroughly dry before reloading. I have placed on a baking tray in the oven after cooking a meal as it cools down and now have a cheap food drier which seems to be working.

As for equipment I use a Thumler Tumbler and about a kg of pins. For the solution, some citric acid and washing up liquid will more than suffice. I have heard some use a dishwasher tab or powder but whatever detergent you have to hand and a softener of sorts should be OK.
    The fancy mixes just use different named brands and can cost more. Also the Lemshine or other water softener or conditioner (like citric acid) is mostly pointless if you rinse in normal water after the cleaning cycle anyway. I pat dry and lay on kitchen towel to remove the large droplets and into the oven to fully dry the insides etc.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.