Thread: Scottish AWL

Scottish AWL

Just found this while looking for some thing else .

It's an information post not for debating that it's right or wrong.

Take note of the bit in bold. Just because the Scottish Goverment said there was an estimated 500.000 airguns in Scotland it does not mean there would be 500.000 AWL applications . Plus it does not cover this year .

Weapons covered by air weapon certificates.
    The Air Weapon and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015 does not require the
    registration of individual weapons and therefore there is no data relating to the
    number of weapons covered by air weapon certificates

3.2 New applications, renewals and revocations.
     There were 3185 new applications for air weapon certificates in the year from 1
    April 2018 to 31 March 2019, of which 3105 were granted and 80 refused.

 There were 4251 renewal applications for air weapon certificates in the year from
    1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 of which 4237 were granted and 14 refused.

 A total of 91 air weapon certificates were revoked in the year from 1 April 2018 to
    31 March 2019.

Table 3
    Air weapon certificates granted, refused, renewed and revoked in the year 1 April 2018
    to 31 March 2019 presented by processing centre.

Click the pic to enlarge
    [IMG][/IMG]

Oops should have read further down.

[IMG][/IMG]

25820 issued upto last year.

Link here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mqJiB2Sc6MOxLg
    Last edited by bighit; 17-07-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Can't see where their 'new' figures tie up, looking at it, there was 3199 'new applications' - 94 refused & 3105 granted.
    So almost as many air rifles as powder burners, but fewer than shotguns - I've a feeling that there's still a lot unlicensed

All the AWL has achieved in Scotland is create up to 475,000 criminals who are guilty of a firearms offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    All the AWL has achieved in Scotland is create up to 475,000 criminals who are guilty of a firearms offence.
    Where do you get 475,000 criminals from ?

Did you read this bit ?

Just because the Scottish Goverment said there was an estimated 500.000 airguns in Scotland it does not mean there would be 500.000 AWL applications .

500,000 airguns does not mean 500,000 airgun owners .

I had 3 airguns . I did not have 3 separate licenses for each one . There is a member from Scotland on here that must have more that 20 airguns , he wont have more that 20 separate licenses

If another collector has 100 in his collection, he counts as one license not 100.

They estimate over 6 million in England and wales ( the last time I looked) .

Over 6 million AIRGUNS not OWNERS.

From Basc.
    It is estimated that there are over six million air rifles in England and Wales, the vast majority of which are used in a safe and responsible manner
    Last edited by bighit; 17-07-2021 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Did you read this bit ?

Just because the Scottish Goverment said there was an estimated 500.000 airguns in Scotland it does not mean there would be 500.000 AWL applications .

I had 3 airguns . I did not have 3 separate licenses for each one . There is a member from Scotland on here that must have more that 20 airguns , he wont have more that 20 separate licenses

If another collector has 100 in his collection, he counts as one license not 100.

They estimate 4 to 6 million in in England and wales ( the last time I looked) .

4 to 6 million AIRGUNS not OWNERS.
    Since no one knows how many airguns that each non-AWL and AWL holder has I used the the term 'up to' as the upper bounding figure if each of these individuals have only one airgun.

I recognise that the actual figure will be lower than that, but the main point is that the only tangible achievement of the introduction of the AWL is the criminalisation of a large number of otherwise law abiding citizens in Scotland.
    Last edited by Monster; 17-07-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Did you read this bit ?

They estimate 4 to 6 million in in England and wales ( the last time I looked) .

4 to 6 million AIRGUNS not OWNERS.
    Even if his figures are wrong it still leaves a hell of a lot of air rifles in Scotland unlicensed in essence creating potential criminals under said law. It won't stop actual criminals using firearms and criminalises Joe Bloggs who has had his airgun collection since the 1950s - he doesn't want to apply for a license because his collection is worth thousands and may be seized.

Personally I can see from Joe Bloggs point of view and I'm glad this ill-conceived law hasn't come into effect in Wales and England so far.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    Even if his figures are wrong it still leaves a hell of a lot of air rifles in Scotland unlicensed in essence creating potential criminals under said law. It won't stop actual criminals using firearms and criminalises Joe Bloggs who has had his airgun collection since the 1950s - he doesn't want to apply for a license because his collection is worth thousands and may be seized.

Personally I can see from Joe Bloggs point of view and I'm glad this ill-conceived law hasn't come into effect in Wales and England so far.
    If they dont license them ,then they make themselves criminals

Why would you not license them ?

Only recently a member on here with depression got his AWL and SGC. So that alone proves they dont stop all people with health issues getting a license . Each application is looked at separately .

There was another two on here that got refused due to their health. They appealed and got their license .

One told he was unlikely to get an AWL.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....01-Devastated-!!!

License issued.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....irgun-Licence-!

As I said they look at each case individually.

Also not all the people that license them are actively using them. There us many reasons you can apply for a license and collecting is one of them. Collect and not fire is one category.

Quote.

Condition Description: Collection – Not to be fired.
    Condition Text: The air weapon must be possessed, purchased or acquired by the holder of the certificate only for the purpose of its being kept or exhibited as part of a collection. Not to be fired.

Condition Description: Collections - To Be Fired
    Condition Text: The air weapon must be possessed, purchased or acquired by the holder of the certificate only for the purpose of its being kept or exhibited as part of a collection. The weapon may also be used for target shooting, on ranges which are legally and safely constructed and maintained.

Would some that dont want a license be because they are illegally holding an airgun anyway under section 21 ?

From BASC.
    Possession of firearms by persons previously convicted of crime - prohibited persons.
    Under Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 any person who has been sentenced (anywhere in the
    UK) to a term of imprisonment, youth custody or detention in a young offenders institution for a
    period of more than three months but less than three years is subject to a five year prohibition from
    having any firearm or ammunition in his possession. A person who has been sentenced to a term
    of imprisonment or youth custody for a period in excess of three years is prohibited for life.
    Suspended sentences now attract a prohibition of 5 years. Air pellets are deemed to be
    ammunition and cannot be handled by prohibited persons.

If they fit the section 21 criteria and hold an airgun, they have again made themselves a criminal even with out not applying for an AWL.

You cant shoot at most clubs be it airgun or firearms if you fit the section 21 criteria.

why would others not apply ?

Leave out the ones that dont agree with it.

I'm not saying I agree with it but I have one as I want to be legal and I have to be licensed to do so. I also own FAC and SGC .
    Last edited by bighit; 17-07-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs down

I'm not ok with legislation making criminals out of ordinary folk who are doing nothing wrong, keep sleepwalking yourself out of all your hobbies and interests if you want to but not all of us are sheep who will fill out forms and tick boxes just because some bell-end in the government thinks it's a good idea.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

I'm not ok with legislation making criminals out of ordinary folk who are doing nothing wrong, keep sleepwalking yourself out of all your hobbies and interests if you want to but not all of us are sheep who will fill out forms and tick boxes just because some bell-end in the government thinks it's a good idea.
    What a bizarre and irresponsible comment. You can do what you like but should the legislation extend UK wide ( God forbid) I assume that responsible enthusiasts who wish to keep their guns and continue to enjoy the sport will apply for the licence like we had to.
    The alternative would indeed be sleepwalking out of your sport and into the courts and a criminal record.
    I hope your Government remain sensible on the issue, unlike ours.

Even if his figures are wrong it still leaves a hell of a lot of air rifles in Scotland unlicensed...
    You’re still not getting it. In Scotland, it is the person who is granted an air weapon certificate; air weapons are not licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You’re still not getting it. In Scotland, it is the person who is granted an air weapon certificate; air weapons are not licensed.
    They might be missing that it's the person that's licenced, but unless a lot of owners have larger 'collections' than I have (in excess of 30) there seems to be a large discrepancy between what was thought were owned to what is now 'accounted for'

A key point here is - as has been said many, many times - the figure of half a million airguns in Scotland was never anything more than an opportunistic political guess from the spectacularly incompetent Kenny MacAskill just before he was sacked in 2014. The figure was questioned repeatedly during the so-called consultation process but it was never explained and nothing was ever done to refine it. Are there air guns still being used by unlicensed people in Scotland? Of course there are. Do we know how many? We don't have the faintest idea.

Alan
    Last edited by Archer50; 01-08-2021 at 03:53 PM.