Thread: A Comparison

A Comparison

Gents, this might be the first time I've popped into the 'refined' section of the bbs that is called "Collectable Airguns". So there will be no earth shattering revelation, no mystical enlightenment, no gun guru wisdom: just an observation that I'm sure many of you have already made.

I dug out a Webley Senior (a mid 50's), a HW45 (a mid 90's) and a CP88 (2000'n'something'r'other) for a quick oily rubdown.

Among the aficionados the CP88 is still regarded as one of the better CO2's. Similarly many a devotees would hunt you down like the Terminator for saying anything bad about the 45. But when you pick up the 60+ year old Webley you feel like it was made to last for generations. Everything about it suggests "real" quality.

Or am I just getting older and more sentimental?
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Or am I just getting older and more sentimental?
    Nope. You're spot on.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Your in the right area, milled blue steel. But I am old and sentimental. Lol

No argument here.

Even trying to set aside a heavy dose of British nostalgia (difficult), and recognising their functional limitations (trigger quality, sight adjustment, difficult-to-master firing cycle), there is something special about a compact lump of well-finished Birmingham gun steel.

Webley Pistol

Have to agree. I've gone from owing just one, Webley MK1 to now owning 6 other Webley pistols. Just a classic in the airgun / pistol world. Mach 1.5