Thread: Wasping with a Webley

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Wasping with a Webley

The following is not for the Webley purists among you, so if the abuse of a cherished Webley classic will offend you, please move on to the next thread.

Every year I am plagued by wasps, and so far I have had to deal with one nest every year over the past four years. When the nest is away from the house I have found strong ammonia to be very effective, but for obvious reasons I can’t use it when the nest is in or near the house. Two years ago a nest was established in a flat roof area of the house, with the nest entrance just under the eaves. As it was impossible to get near it to use pesticide powder, I had to call in the professionals. A fully kitted-out guy inserted a tube in the entrance hole and pumped powder in under pressure. This did the trick, but cost me £90.

Although I thought I had sealed all the gaps against the wall, this year another nest appeared, about a meter or so farther along from the old nest. I didn’t feel inclined to fork out another £90, so I decided to see if I could get an air rifle to do the job. I attached a length of plastic tubing to the muzzle of my favourite air rifle, a Webley Mark 3 , and inserted a paper wad in the loading tap and another wad a third of the way down the barrel from the muzzle. Wasp killing powder was then poured down the tubing to fill it to near the top. I waited unto dark when the nest was quiet and then, perched on stepladders, I was able to hold the cocked gun and push the end of the plastic tube into the nest entrance hole. After firing the gun just a trace of powder could be seen to puff out from the hole, the rest of it being blasted into the recesses of the nest. Next day, and thereafter, not a sign of a wasp – so job done, no mess, and cost me nothing. So Wasps 0, Me 4 so far.

The following pic is a daylight mock-up - if you try this method yourself, make sure you do it at night!

Yes, I did clean the gun up thoroughly afterwards,and it is none the worse for its little adventure.

Anyone know of any other unusual uses of an airgun?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi John, many thanks for giving me the tip. l am going to try that if the buggers return this year. it cost me £100 last year. but l will use a old break barrel. should be easier to load.

Found once nest removed they tend to rebuild in same area, happened in my loft over 3 yrs, also in partners shed. Waited till evening then put carrier bag over nest, removed and sealed bag. Felt them buzzing in the bag🐝 These were very accessible places tho. Nests were about size of a clenched fist, didn't want to leave them to see how big they could get!

Excellent idea John, an alternative use for the trusty old Mk.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyajonathan View Post
    Found once nest removed they tend to rebuild in same area, happened in my loft over 3 yrs, also in partners shed. Waited till evening then put carrier bag over nest, removed and sealed bag. Felt them buzzing in the bag🐝 These were very accessible places tho. Nests were about size of a clenched fist, didn't want to leave them to see how big they could get!
    They get BIG. The biggest I’ve had in my attic was about the size of my torso.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    They get BIG. The biggest I’ve had in my attic was about the size of my torso.
    Wasn't gonna chance it any of 'em getting that big!
    To misquote a famous film "we're gonna need a bigger bag" 🐝
    Partner got me check disused rabbit hutch this morning after removing one nest last week, as reckons they are rebuilding nest. Grand kids (5 of them) had terrorised wasps by banging hutch with long brooms, partner said " don't you'll get stung . . . . . . " they stopped after 2 of them got stung.
    Must be a wet paint type of thing 🙄

Regarding less usual uses of a gun. A pal had a single barrel 12 bore with a hefty forged steel ring instead of a butt. The barrel had a coarsely threaded flange on the muzzle and there alleged to be extensions to screw to it. Apparently it was for applying clay to thin spots inside a furnace, presumably putting a handful on the end of the barrel rather than into the breach.

It struck me as a rare combination of What Could Possibly Go Wrong, Be careful What You Wish For and The Law Of Unintended Consequences.

As far as I know there were no reports of ' The coroner says....... ' so maybe it was fine.

Anyone else heard of such a thing?

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Regarding less usual uses of a gun. A pal had a single barrel 12 bore with a hefty forged steel ring instead of a butt. The barrel had a coarsely threaded flange on the muzzle and there alleged to be extensions to screw to it. Apparently it was for applying clay to thin spots inside a blast furnace, presumably putting a handful on the end of the barrel rather than into the breach.

It struck me as a rare combination of What Could Possibly Go Wrong, Be careful What You Wish For and The Law Of Unintended Consequences.

As far as I know there were no reports of ' The coroner says....... ' so maybe it was fine.

Anyone else heard of such a thing?

Before submitting reply a quick google finds several references to patent applications.

ATB, Mick

Yup, those kiln guns come in several different types. The ones I have seen were Greener Martini actioned ones although I once had to repair an 8 bore that looked like a Browning heavy MG. Mounted on a tripod and firing slugs, It was used for getting clinker out of (I think) Cement kilns. I still have a a couple of the empty cartridges for it somewhere. Special ammo made by Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Yup, those kiln guns come in several different types. The ones I have seen were Greener Martini actioned ones although I once had to repair an 8 bore that looked like a Browning heavy MG. Mounted on a tripod and firing slugs, It was used for getting clinker out of (I think) Cement kilns. I still have a a couple of the empty cartridges for it somewhere. Special ammo made by Remington.
    So I didn't dream it!

8 bores are beginning to verge on artillery and the thought of deliberately obstructing that much gas flow is frightening. When I wa at school somebody gave me a double 12 with one chamber missing. Just before the missing one went awol the shooter was seen to have leaned it against a tree so it was presumed there was some bark blocking the barrel.

ATB, Mick

Looks like an Schwarloze MG crossed with a Gatling. Fun!

https://industrialcartridgesa.com/8-gauge-kiln-system/

Furnace guns

]A neighbour brought me a strange looking Martini actioned gun, about 410 size with a steel ring instead of a stock. It was found when an old stone wall was being demolished. We checked with the police, and apparently it was classed as an industrial tool and therefore no licence was required at that time. I do not know what the current situation might be.
    Back to wasps…..years ago we used a cut off old 22 airsporter cocked under water in the garden pond. Filled with water, we shot at flying wasps at a range of 10 to 15 feet. The water spread out like a shotgun and plastered them good and proper. The recoil however was quite interesting. My children had great fun with it. The rifle did not seem to suffer very much after this treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Looks like an Schwarloze MG crossed with a Gatling. Fun!

https://industrialcartridgesa.com/8-gauge-kiln-system/

Similar to that but I think the one I mended was Australian and a falling block breech. I had to clean a shed load of congealed brick dust out of it and make a new firing pin. It was over 45 years ago and I can't remember everything.

Going back to the original post , I wonder whether wasp powder qualifies as a 'noxious substance' under the firearms act?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Going back to the original post , I wonder whether wasp powder qualifies as a 'noxious substance' under the firearms act?
    Given that CO2 did for around 30 years, I’m sure it would. An aerosol can of fly spray probably does too.

Thumbs up

Manby years ago I hada huge Hornet in the conservatory so I got my Ace out, Pumped it up fully and let it have a blast of .177" air!

It split it in to two!!

It was found trying to walk but dragging it's innards so I put it out of it's misery with size 9 left boot!! (Hate the damn things!)

I was erecting a steel shed at the bottom of the garden and was getting buzzed by wasps coming from a hole in the ground so I tried the Doff foaming stuff at the entrance, Didn't work as it's for shooting at a nest, I waited until darkness then shot a load of the dry powder down! Boy does that stuff work!!- Not a single Wabbie the next day, The shed went up easily and quickly!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/