Thread: Rifle shakes ?

Rifle shakes ?

New one to me. I haven't been shooting for a few years but over the past few months I've been getting out with various air (spring & pcp) plus powder rifles including shotguns. All is fine with all except one. I can't hold it steady ?? All my shooting is rested one way or another so weight isn't an issue & most rifles have the same scopes so not the scope. There obviously is a little movement with all other rifles but one in particular is like trying to aim while running on a ploughed field wearing springs for shoes, baffled is an understatement, the cross hairs are all over the place. All my shooting is at x10.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Is the "shake" an haphazard one or is it regular? Thinking either tremors or pulse effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Is the "shake" an haphazard one or is it regular? Thinking either tremors or pulse effect?
    Heart beat eventually, not at first, i think the heart beat part came once frustration etc started. With all my other rifles I let the scope rise & fall slowly getting on target, sometimes take my time sometimes fast target acquisition. It just seems to wander in random directions, It's like the barrel weighs a bag of sugar & the stock weight of a feather waving around trying to shoot a swarm of zig zag flies, I shot this rifle years ago without bother so It's definitely some random weird thing. Might even be some sort of mental thing ???? Tried third time on Sunday & seemed worse so not just a random one off bad day
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    check the centre of gravity / balance point of the rifle.. is it way further back at or near the trigger ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

You just forgot to have your first drink of the day.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Agree with shed tuner - check out how it balances by comparison to other of your rifles. If that seems OK then perhaps the fit is not suited to you? Could you adjust your stance/hold/scope eye relief?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

when i recently bought my 97kt which is a bit heavy compared to my pcps i was a bit shaky,i started to do a fedw dumb bells as my arms and wrists were a bit week im fine now after a month

Swap the scope. See if the issue remains (rifle balance) or transfers - shit scope.

Last resort, sell it to some poor unsespecting goon🤔
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Mmmm...It looks like I have also developed the shakes in recent months; Same rifles, same hold, same breathing...what the hell? The target looks like it has been shot by a 12 bore. Maybe nature is taking its course. Hope it is nothing to do with the two jabs.

Thanks for the replies they gave me a thought. I'm now thinking it was where I rested the rifle, more central than near the bipod stud. I've just got a clamp to fit a tripod & realised this is the only rifle I've tried in it, normaly it's bipods or a simple large U shape on a tripod. I was shooting another rifle today on a bipod with the same scope & no problem. Packing a bipod next time I use this rifle & closely scrutinising how I use the clamp.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

glad your sorted