Thread: .25 barrel liner ?

.25 barrel liner ?

Hi chaps just asking for advice, suggestions etc. I have a smooth bore .25 rifle (Gem) which the bore is beyond saving with severe corrosion so I am thinking of sleeving it. Question is where to get the sleeve and I was going to drill the barrel to the OD of the sleeve and glue it in, I know it sounds cruide and the chances of finding a drill bit of the required length and size are probably not good. Hense the suggestion bit.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

you can get a 1077 rifled barrel which are 8. something mm easily enough and long 9mm drill bits can be got from evil bay
    another option is try to find an apache .177 barrel insert which fits in a .24 barrel

You can indeed drill the barrel out and fit a rifled liner ( something like an FX @9mm od) but you probably won't have the power to push a pellet out of the barrel if you do that. that will apply to almost any calibre you choose.

Personally I would smoothbore it by using a brass liner . I'm pretty sure you could get something to take .20 pellets without having to resort to drilling. If you have access to a lathe you could go down to 4.5mm by making short sleeves for the tube. The 4.5mm id brass that is commonly available is a bit tight for pellets and needs lapping out in situ but will handle lead balls no problem.

If you do wish to drill it. any barrel can be turned to fit and it does not have to go full length up the original. .22 barrels are the most commonly available followed by .177, .25 and .20 in that order . I've been after 9" of .20 for a long time with no luck.

Keep us updated please, whatever you decide.

Hello well the problem is finding .25 ID tube (its smoothbore originally) I have had no luck, I would rather not change to anything other than .25. I think it would be a problem changing because it is so low powered anyway.
    I thought that a crosman barrel was a possability as a last resort but there were a couple of problems, inporting from usa taxes etc. even if they would supply, I found a supplier here but they were out of stock and wanted a £35 fee to supply plus postage and would only supply to an RFD of course!!.
    I will keep looking and see what I can find.
    For all the use it will get, which will be very little, then brass or even stainless would do I think.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Is this any good https://www./itm/Imperial-brass-tube...-127635-2958-0

Sorry link doesn’t work. But 1/4 inch id brass tube seems to be on the bay?
    Morally flawed