Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSP madness?

SSP madness?

I have a strange yurning for a single stroke pneumatic, am I loosing my mind? Are they as bad as some say, unreliable, fiddley, hard work etc?
    Is there a better model/design to look out for to test the water with without delving in to the ulta rare collectable category?

Or should I just forget the whole pipe dream and keep fiddling with my 97kt ?

Quote Originally Posted by carlins2000 View Post
    I have a strange yurning for a single stroke pneumatic, am I loosing my mind? Are they as bad as some say, unreliable, fiddley, hard work etc?
    Is there a better model/design to look out for to test the water with without delving in to the ulta rare collectable category?

Or should I just forget the whole pipe dream and keep fiddling with my 97kt ?
    Years back a mate had a titan it was very--- no I mean super accurate I whish I had bought it when he was selling it so if one came up now at a nice price I would have one--they might be slower than a pcp with a mag but if your just shooting for fun and not wanting a quick large bag of rabbits --then go for one-- no more running low on air

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Years back a mate had a titan it was very--- no I mean super accurate I whish I had bought it when he was selling it so if one came up now at a nice price I would have one--they might be slower than a pcp with a mag but if your just shooting for fun and not wanting a quick large bag of rabbits --then go for one-- no more running low on air
    I have two Mohawks ---> walks off looking smug.

I have a Dragon and a Mohawk.

I prefer the Mohawk. It also appears simpler to work on if it needs it - a proper Bowkett design.

Neither would be what you wanted for an HFT match or a long plinking session.

I'm imagining this as a summer evening mooch gun, the odd shot at a bunny or pigeon and maybe an odd acorn! 15 - 20 shots down the garden range of an evening then back in the bag.

I have an Airlogic Genesis, not a light gun or one for pinking with but... Pin acurate and a dream to shoot....
    I also have a simple super light Bowkett which is just chalk and cheese, simple and straight forward...
    Then I also have a Daystate Sportsman mkii which is just leftover Mohawk parts from India.....
    Yes I like Single stroke pneumatics, they can be so different and yet the same.... I have also had a JB1, a Mohawk, a Dragon, a FWB 600, Baikal izzy and a missed opportunity on a Laisar 12..(i did get to shoot it though) along with 3 other Genesis's....
    Personal advice if one pops up at the right money then buy it especially if its a Bowkett design.

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I have an Airlogic Genesis, not a light gun or one for pinking with but... Pin acurate and a dream to shoot....
    I also have a simple super light Bowkett which is just chalk and cheese, simple and straight forward...
    Then I also have a Daystate Sportsman mkii which is just leftover Mohawk parts from India.....
    Yes I like Single stroke pneumatics, they can be so different and yet the same.... I have also had a JB1, a Mohawk, a Dragon, a FWB 600, Baikal izzy and a missed opportunity on a Laisar 12..(i did get to shoot it though) along with 3 other Genesis's....
    Personal advice if one pops up at the right money then buy it especially if its a Bowkett design.
    I also have a Sportsmam MK2 but very rarely use it as I find it a bit heavy compared to the Mowhawks, could be my imagination though. :-

image.jpeg

The other two SSP I have are a Feinwerkbau 600 and a 602, I'll eventually fit a scope to the 600 and use it for a bit of short range target work and plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I have two Mohawks ---> walks off looking smug.

I also have a Sportsmam MK2 but very rarely use it as I find it a bit heavy compared to the Mowhawks, could be my imagination though. :-

image.jpeg

The other two SSP I have are a Feinwerkbau 600 and a 602, I'll eventually fit a scope to the 600 and use it for a bit of short range target work and plinking.
    Any tips in getting drools of the laptop very nice guns you have there 00ihad forgot about the sportsmans

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    I had forgot about the sportsmans
    The Sportsman MK2 is a bit of a design compromise compared to the Mohawk but saying that it's still a good gun.
    The Mohawk was designed as a complete gun, whereas the Sportsman uses the Mohawk pump tube with a Daystate barrel, breach and trigger unit adapted to fit, the Mohawk is also the easier to strip and service of the two guns.

All the best Mick

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    I have a .177 Dragon FT. It's main use is to allow me to post in threads like this. Lots of effort but no more accurate than any other gun I own. Plus, I am too short to reach the end of the cocking lever so have to do a silly little jump to reach it and then people laugh at me.

So is the consensus a Bowket model, jb1, mohawk? I'm gathering these are relatively easy to work on? Does JB still work on these models? Can they be improved in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    I have a .177 Dragon FT. It's main use is to allow me to post in threads like this. Lots of effort but no more accurate than any other gun I own. Plus, I am too short to reach the end of the cocking lever so have to do a silly little jump to reach it and then people laugh at me.
    I think the Dragon and the Mohawk both have Walther barrels, Steve ?

All the best Mick

So is the consensus a Bowket model, jb1, mohawk? I'm gathering these are relatively easy to work on? Does JB still work on these models? Can they be improved in any way?
    The Mohawk is probably easier to find than a JB1, and I think there was a chap I've dealt with from Ashbourne trying to sell some Mohawks the other day.

According to Bowkett's Facebook page he now fits an improved exhaust valve to the Mohawks which makes them more efficient --- hopefully Greenwayjames will be along to post a link.

All the best Mick

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    I think the Dragon and the Mohawk both have Walther barrels, Steve ?

All the best Mick
    Pretty sure they are both really skinny Walther barrels.

IIRC, the early Titan-made JB1s (not JB-made JB1s) had reliability issues. Can someone confirm or deny?

While I prefer the Mohawk, the Dragon is also a very good SSP. Except - speaking from experience - when it goes wrong and needs fixing.