Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do gunshops get their secondhand prices from?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Where do gunshops get their secondhand prices from?

Hi all,
    Just seen an Airsporter Stutzen for sale in a gunshop for £645, have they become that collectibly expensive and I saw another Airsporter S in another shop for £245 which needed a lot of work done to it to get it looking half decent again.

It's all gone mad.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

@look no hands your right regarding prices it has all gone a little grab grab but in fairness the stutzen is worth that money the airsporter s depending on the amount you need to spend to get it looking good hmm that seems a little to high for my tste , i love mercurys and well £245 for a fixer up is not in most people pockets , i think people are just jumping on the band wagon of during lockdown people got bored an had cash to spend .

I will say this gun shops are robbers i think , they sodl my friend a rifle over £1200 a few months later he wantedto trade it on a bigger cal rifle as the .243 was kicking a bit hard and the .308 did not they said no trade in but we will sell it for you , he trusted them to do that and get him a fair price let's just say they sold the gun for him and then said oh btw we keep 40% of the sale so go figure sold him the gun then sold it for him made money on both sales and also sold him a new .308 nice work if you can gte it , but he has learnt a costly lesson

i think they look at the wall count the flies multiply it by a random number and add a few naughts

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I went to Kempton Park the other week.
    While a lot of the prices were reasonable I was looking for a .177 pcp. There was an S400 there. The deal I was offered was £500 . It had a rust patch on the barrel that wouldn't have been out of place on a 72 Cortina.
    A new S400 was £580 at Ronnie Sunshine's that day
    Pete

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    They must look on here first.
    Master Debater

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    They are a business and have to make money, but if they treat customers fair then they will keep them, if not - vote with your feet and avoid the rip off merchants.

An RFD has to be at least 20% more than a private sale or they don't make money, but second hand stuff up for near new price is a way of convincing you that you may as well get a new one, so don't believe they always want to sell that second hand one they have, it can sometimes just be a marketing ploy
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Some if the big gun shops maybe , I've had some good buys from gun shops in the past , But some do take the mick.

there is a one in our town centre that loves ripping you off i only use it if i really have to

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    @look no hands your right regarding prices it has all gone a little grab grab but in fairness the stutzen is worth that money the airsporter s depending on the amount you need to spend to get it looking good hmm that seems a little to high for my tste , i love mercurys and well £245 for a fixer up is not in most people pockets , i think people are just jumping on the band wagon of during lockdown people got bored an had cash to spend .

I will say this gun shops are robbers i think , they sodl my friend a rifle over £1200 a few months later he wantedto trade it on a bigger cal rifle as the .243 was kicking a bit hard and the .308 did not they said no trade in but we will sell it for you , he trusted them to do that and get him a fair price let's just say they sold the gun for him and then said oh btw we keep 40% of the sale so go figure sold him the gun then sold it for him made money on both sales and also sold him a new .308 nice work if you can gte it , but he has learnt a costly lesson
    Presumably he had written terms for the sale along with agreeing a price he would accept I certainly did when my RFD had mine on sale for me.

RFD's are in business to make money so they want to buy cheap & sell high, they will charge what the market will stand, old adage if you don't like it shop elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing the other day Wow My small collection is now worth a fortune

Talking of the Stutzen though they were £99 new at Optima in Bolton but I bought a HW 77 instead ,because the Stutzen looked better in the pictures than in real life (that was £105 new )
    Last edited by mallyally; 29-07-2021 at 04:13 PM.

If people didn't pay those prices, they would soon come down.

Take the case above, the rusty s/h S400 for £500 when a new one was £580. Too many people will click on the first thing they see, without shopping around. It's the same with all hobbies.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I know prices appear to have risen, but surely £645 for a Stutzen is a lot too much?

Most people will sell at whatever the market will stand and more if given the chance. The only way to cap this apparent trend of rising prices is not to pay what you think is over the odds. Some will, some won't. But £600+ for an old Airsporter or £90 under new for a rough 400---no way!

I recently contacted a gun shop with a view to sell and they said they didn’t know what to offer. When I opened the bidding they immediately came back and offered less!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwackersaki View Post
    I recently contacted a gun shop with a view to sell and they said they didn’t know what to offer. When I opened the bidding they immediately came back and offered less!
    I hate it when they ask you to take it in cos they can only offer a valuation when they see it and then when you get there they say "How much do you want for it ?"
    pisses me off that ! I always say "a million quid "