Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Clarke Titan Mk1 Air Pistol.

Frank Clarke Titan Mk1 Air Pistol.

Noted this extremely rare Frank Clarke Titan Mk1 air pistol coming up at Holts September 2021 auction. Estimate looks on the conservative side for such a rarely seen item, although it won't win any beauty contests.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...7043&saletype=

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-07-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Yes it was discussed on here the chap took it into a police station for destruction! I think we all feel it’s a bit of a bbs baby

No idea about the estimate, with premium the top end estimate is over £2000.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Yes it was discussed on here the chap took it into a police station for destruction! I think we all feel it’s a bit of a bbs baby

No idea about the estimate, with premium the top end estimate is over £2000.
    Hi Jerry,
    I remember the discussion now that you mention it. Hard to estimate a realised price as there's nothing to directly compare it with.
    As with all auctions, it would only take a couple of determined bidders to reach the current estimate.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    I remember the discussion now that you mention it. Hard to estimate a realised price as there's nothing to directly compare it with.
    As with all auctions, it would only take a couple of determined bidders to reach the current estimate.

Brian
    Hi Brian, yes l was one of our crowd who put what we thought it would make at auction. which were with in the Holt' estimates. even if l had that sort of money l wouldn't buy it. as l could buy a cased pair of flintlock or percussion pistols for that money, that have a lot more history to them. but what ever floats your boat as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Brian, yes l was one of our crowd who put what we thought it would make at auction. which were with in the Holt' estimates. even if l had that sort of money l wouldn't buy it. as l could buy a cased pair of flintlock or percussion pistols for that money, that have a lot more history to them. but what ever floats your boat as they say.
    It’s a lot of cash for something that hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down, that’s for sure.
    Morally flawed

It’s a lot of cash for something that hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down, that’s for sure.
    Hard to see how it evolved into the compact and much better looking Titan models ending in the 7th series which contributed so much to the later Webley Mk1.

Hard to see how it evolved into the compact and much better looking Titan models ending in the 7th series which contributed so much to the later Webley Mk1.
    Tbh I think they’ve all got looks only their mother could love. I’m not sure the later ones aren’t worse.
    Morally flawed

Tbh I think they’ve all got looks only their mother could love. I’m not sure the later ones aren’t worse.
    Hi Jerry,

Apart from the awkward cocking method, I think the 7th Series Titan is a nice looking pistol who's appearance was clearly reflected in the Webley Mk1.
    Admittedly, the previous models in the Titan series of compact pistols weren't made to the same standard, but they were after all aimed at the cheaper end of the market.

Brian

All the Titans look beautiful to me, honestly.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Jerry,

Apart from the awkward cocking method, I think the 7th Series Titan is a nice looking pistol who's appearance was clearly reflected in the Webley Mk1.
    Admittedly, the previous models in the Titan series of compact pistols weren't made to the same standard, but they were after all aimed at the cheaper end of the market.

Brian
    Helpful set of pictures. The mk1 has a sort of Flash Gordon thing going on 20 years before it’s time. That lever hanging out of the back of the mk7 is just yuk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    All the Titans look beautiful to me, honestly.
    As my gran would have said, it would be a dull world if we were all the same

That said, have you seen an optician recently?
    Morally flawed

I was going to ask you the same thing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    It is interesting to look at the mind set of Frank Clarke and how he developed his Titans.

The very first pistol he sold was a tiny German air pistol which he branded as the Bulldog and which he sold from his shop in the Gothic Arcade, Snow Hill Birmingham pre 1910. This obviously influenced him to make his own pistol, the Titan Mark 1, and in this he adopted the main features of the Bulldog, such as a rear moving piston, placing the barrel over the cylinder, and using direct pull cocking from the front. The principal difference was the introduction of the bolt action sliding barrel, which got round the clumsy breech screw loading of the Bulldog.

He then decided that front-pull cocking had limitations and invented his rear cocking concept using a retractable rotating cocking rod. Keeping the bolt-action barrel, so leading to the Titan Mark 2.

Then he had a typical Clarke flash of inspiration and invented his rotating breech block. This one simple steel component provided the air transfer port, enabled a fixed barrel to be used in place of the complex rotating bolt-action barrel, and provided a means of rotating the cocking rod into the grip. So was born the Titan Marks 3-7.

As far as rarity goes, I know of only four Bulldog pistols, six Mark 1 Titans, and two Mark 2 Titans. The rarest of all, the Mark 3, with only one example known to date is obviously missing from my picture sequence. So if anybody has got one these rusting in his shed, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    The rarest of all, the Mark 3, with only one example known to date is obviously missing from my picture sequence.
    You can see the Mk3 here, thanks to John Atkins.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....an-air-pistol/

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    It is interesting to look at the mind set of Frank Clarke and how he developed his Titans.

Birmingham pre 1910. This obviously influenced him to make his own pistol, the Titan Mark 1, and in this he adopted the main features of the Bulldog, such as a
    The very first pistol he sold was a tiny German air pistol which he branded as the Bulldog and which he sold from his shop in the Gothic Arcade, Snow Hill rear moving piston, placing the barrel over the cylinder, and using direct pull cocking from the front. The principal difference was the introduction of the bolt action sliding barrel, which got round the clumsy breech screw loading of the Bulldog.

He then decided that front-pull cocking had limitations and invented his rear cocking concept using a retractable rotating cocking rod. Keeping the bolt-action barrel, so leading to the Titan Mark 2.

Then he had a typical Clarke flash of inspiration and invented his rotating breech block. This one simple steel component provided the air transfer port, enabled a fixed barrel to be used in place of the complex rotating bolt-action barrel, and provided a means of rotating the cocking rod into the grip. So was born the Titan Marks 3-7.

As far as rarity goes, I know of only four Bulldog pistols, six Mark 1 Titans, and two Mark 2 Titans. The rarest of all, the Mark 3, with only one example known to date is obviously missing from my picture sequence. So if anybody has got one these rusting in his shed, please let me know.

Hello John,

The evolution of the Titan models is a little easier to see when they are pictured sequentially. Am I right in saying that the Bulldog was the smallest commercially produced, spring powered air pistol and not the Tell 2 as many believe?

Brian

Helpful set of pictures. The mk1 has a sort of Flash Gordon thing going on 20 years before it’s time. That lever hanging out of the back of the mk7 is just yuk though.

As my gran would have said, it would be a dull world if we were all the same

Hi Jerry,

The cocking lever on the Series 7 Titan also activated a grip safety similar to that used on the Colt 1911 ACP service pistol which was really quite innovative on an air pistol.

Brian