Thread: Pcp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pcp

I have been looking to purchase a reasonably priced pcp, but looking at reviews on the forum, unless spending north of £1000, every rifle that takes my fancy seems to get bad reviews from somebody.
    Is there any rifle out there that would fit into a price range which I would be happy with (£400 -£600) which actually gets a majority good write up ? By the way, I would not accept good reviews from the magazines as I think they are commercially motivated.

Air Arms S200

as above good little guns

Pcp

The trouble with reading internet reviews (either personal or magazine written) is that you cast your net very wide and you will always find somebody that has had a problem with something. I've had an Air Arms S400 for HFT/club shooting for about 3 years now. It's been very good overall & now that I've found the right pellet etc it is very accurate. Never fiddled with it or had it apart and it's never gone wrong. I fill it to 170bar and that gives me 50 good shots within say 10 fps. Air Arms also give a 3 year guarantee.
    HTH
    Dave

Hw100 secondhand maybe. Atb mick

I recently got a 12 month old mint S400 for 350 … can’t go wrong with them

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I have been looking to purchase a reasonably priced pcp, but looking at reviews on the forum, unless spending north of £1000, every rifle that takes my fancy seems to get bad reviews from somebody.
    Is there any rifle out there that would fit into a price range which I would be happy with (£400 -£600) which actually gets a majority good write up ? By the way, I would not accept good reviews from the magazines as I think they are commercially motivated.
    There are plenty in that range, but you will never get one that hasn't had someone moan about it, because some people seem to expect their £500 rifle to match the £2000 rifle it has a passing resemblance to.
    Equally some manufacturers are hit & miss with quality control, Artemis seem to have that problem, people with good ones rave about them while others have no end of leaks, or other issues.
    I'd always say buy a better rifle used than a cheap one new, AA S410, S510, BSA Scorpion or Ultra, Or pretty much any FX are all worth a look used.

Also worth making a shortlist & looking for youtube reviews to watch.

Daystate Harrier ! you can get one for reasonable cost and they last forever also the 400 as mentioned but they are a bit more fragile IMO !

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    There are good and bad guns from every manufacturer and in every model, the perfect trouble free gun does not exist, but there are lots of good options for you around the £600 mark, you just need to find a nice one

HW100, S410/510/US, (sorted)R10, Regal, MK4is ......to name but a few.

I've had all these guns and they all perform well, but HW100s do have a tendency to leak, and R10s do have reg issues, so make sure you check them properly or buy from a trusted source. If you can try before you buy all the better, because remember fit and feel can be as important as reliability.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I have found the FX Webley 2000 always good.
    I personally like the Brocock contour/concept rifles. The go for reasonable money second hand.

Air Arms 400 series always good.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

S400 or S410 preferably 2nd hand, easy to maintain/service, especially if the anti tampers been removed, or if it's an older one without said A/T even better, still got my first S400 bought in 2009 just put a Hawke Frontier on it £400+ so obviously still loving it. Rog