Thread: 1980s Webley factory tyrolean stocks

1980s Webley factory tyrolean stocks

As many of us know, Webley briefly in the mid/late 80s offered factory tyrolean-stocked variants of the Vulcan, Tracker, and Viscount. But sold very few. I’ve always assumed they were from Custom Stocks in Sheffield, but can anyone confirm that for sure?

See pics on the VAG below. Looks very CS to me.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....yrolean-stock/

The stock is very different to the cs600. There is less drop to heel and and different butt pad to the CS, also the pistol grip is very different. I have a factory tyrolean Vulcan and had a cs600 HW77 in the early 1990s. Very different stocks but I have no idea who made the factory webley tyro/sporter custom stocks.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

The gun I have was bought by a friend from The Mart in Lowestoft around 1987. He then took it to Venom who tuned it while he was there as part of a school project. It was always inaccurate, I gave the action away quite recently and put an sfs action in the stock and fitted a Chambers trigger. It's not bad now, very smooth and pretty accurate. The top edge of the fore end is incredibly thin, it's a distinctive stock. I'd try to put a picture on here but it seems to be an arse ache.

They also made a sporter version for the same stock, I'm not talking about the deluxe walnut, other than the comb, the design of this sporter was identical to the tyrolean
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

edbear2 Guest
    This is a CS on a modded TX, I did change the front a bit but also think the Webley looks a bit CS style at the back, that's not to say obviously it is like one of their standard range of offerings, but as Geezer says, just something about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7646258601290/

ATB, ED

The quality of finish and inletting is way ahead of CS stocks of the time.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

It looks very much like a camargue stock and they were made by CS - when I last spoke to them they had a chap there who used to make the camargue stocks, (they are always happy to do a refurb on one of their old stocks and it will come back looking brand new).
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

The following are from notes I made in the nineties when there were still sufficient number of Webley employees around with the relevant information.

All the stocks were made for Webley by Custom Stocks of Sheffield.

Tyrolean stocks for the Tracker were made C.1984 @£70 extra.

Approximately 100 each of Tyrolean and Sporter stocks were produced in Walnut; all butt plates were from Parker Hale with double row ventilated spacer.

Vulcan/Viscount custom stocks were made in Walnut, with under 100 produced.

Thanks for that.

From the days when CS did real chequering.

I was wrong then! The design is rather different to the cs600 though.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Yes, I commissioned a couple of Rippers and had extra checkering done by CS - I went to Rotherham to select my wood and watch how they did it.

There were 2 brothers then, Richard and ? , not sure if one left the business or passed away ?

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    Yes, I commissioned a couple of Rippers and had extra checkering done by CS - I went to Rotherham to select my wood and watch how they did it.

There were 2 brothers then, Richard and ? , not sure if one left the business or passed away ?
    Paul and Richard are still alive well and working. Both top blokes who have made me many amazingly good quality stocks.

tracker

just noticed the gun in the vintage airgun gallery the one i own still in amazing condition

thanks all manxi
    JOIN DATE 2001 as manxie NOT 2007