Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acvoke Spares & Weird Webley Mk2 Target

Acvoke Spares & Weird Webley Mk2 Target

Heads-up for a collection of Acvoke spares and a Webley Mk2 Target with a weird barrel modification coming up soon at auction. No idea what the barrel modification is all about.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...8-ad71010dde5d

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...4-ad71010deb17

Brian

Looks -to me-like a plastic sleeve. I have a similar pistol (quite standard) which ,when I acquired it, appeared to have had little use. Anyone of average strength would have struggled to cock it, and the power was pretty pathetic into the bargain. My guess is the sleeve might mean that ones finger joints could suffer a bit less when cocking...

“ A collection of Acvoke air pistol parts…. likely enough to make more than one complete pistol.”

Nah, I bet there’s one unobtainable bit not in there. That’s always the way.

Weird Webley MkII

I don't think that's a Mk II; it seems to have a breech plug, and none of my three Mk II's has anything but the usual flat rear surface. I could be wrong (I sometimes am) - anybody comment?

John

Webley

Looks like a cocking aid to me. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by pnird View Post
    I don't think that's a Mk II; it seems to have a breech plug, and none of my three Mk II's has anything but the usual flat rear surface. I could be wrong (I sometimes am) - anybody comment?

John
    Hi John,

I believe some MKIIs do have a breech plug and can therefore be stripped from both ends. Not sure about the barrel; my first thought was that it's a later barrel (from a later Webley) that's been made to fit?

ATB

John
    I believe it has Mk11 Target stamped on it. It's a later one and has the Brum stamp as well.
    Looks like a nice gun to me , evidently very little used like mine ! Mine, as it happens, is earlier with only a front plug

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    “ A collection of Acvoke air pistol parts…. likely enough to make more than one complete pistol.”

Nah, I bet there’s one unobtainable bit not in there. That’s always the way.
    There appears to be a majority of parts for just 1 pistol. There are some bits from other guns (BSA trigger block?) , a few punches and some assorted pins/screws. Nowhere near enough bits for 2 Akvokes.

I can't work out what disturbs me a little about the MKII. that barrel appears to be out of proportion to the rest of the gun. It may be just the photography or the effect of that barrel sleeve, but it just doesn't sit well in my eyes. I think it's a replacement made from something else but am just not sure. I think the barrel is off a straight grip Senior but what is interesting is:

EDIT Below

Bruce states the MkII was dropped in favour of the new Senior model sometime after Sno. 39000. That pistol is Sno. 40882 , could it be some form of transitional variation?

Either way, it means some new pencil marked corrections in my copy of Bruce's book.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 01-08-2021 at 02:39 PM. Reason: more information

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Looks just like a piece of rubber tubing on the Webley to me more than likely put on for better grip. there might just be enough parts for the Acvoke maybe not

John
    Hi John,

Some late Mk2 Target models did strip from both ends and are a lot rarer than the earlier type that stripped from the front only.

According to my records, 36993 (you may recognise this number!) strips from the front only and 37421 strips from both ends, so the change occurred when numbering reached this point. As with all serial production, there will be models slightly outside this range but it does serve as an approximation. 40882 is the highest Mk2 number known to me, so thank you Brian for highlighting.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

. There appears to be a majority of parts for just 1 pistol. There are some bits from other guns (BSA trigger block?) , a few punches and some assorted pins/screws. Nowhere near enough bits for 2 Akvokes.
    It’s blinding obvious there cannot be enough parts for two pistols but I have had not great experiences with that auction house and I’m not at all surprised by their description
    Morally flawed

edbear2 Guest
    Unless that sleeve is tight or glued securely on, I can see it doing more harm than good to user and pistol when it comes off / slips at the worst possible moment

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Unless that sleeve is tight or glued securely on, I can see it doing more harm than good to user and pistol when it comes off / slips at the worst possible moment

ATB, ED

My first thought ! But I decided to give the owner the benefit of the doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi John,

Some late Mk2 Target models did strip from both ends and are a lot rarer than the earlier type that stripped from the front only.

According to my records, 36993 (you may recognise this number!) strips from the front only and 37421 strips from both ends, so the change occurred when numbering reached this point. As with all serial production, there will be models slightly outside this range but it does serve as an approximation. 40882 is the highest Mk2 number known to me, so thank you Brian for highlighting.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Interesting that this particular example appears to have the small screw to secure the barrel catch rather than a pin which I thought was only a feature of the first patten pistols.
    I never really understood the advantage of the screw solution over the pin except for easier removal of the catch which I would have thought was very rarely necessary.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

Interesting that this particular example appears to have the small screw to secure the barrel catch rather than a pin which I thought was only a feature of the first patten pistols.
    I never really understood the advantage of the screw solution over the pin except for easier removal of the catch which I would have thought was very rarely necessary.

Brian
    And the barrel pivot hole has a recess for a keeper screw head but the barrel appears to be pivoted on a rivet. More than just the barrel has been modified methinks. To cap it all , it's serial number is the highest recorded by John so I think he has had knowledge of this exact pistol before.