Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acvoke Spares & Weird Webley Mk2 Target

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

Interesting that this particular example appears to have the small screw to secure the barrel catch rather than a pin which I thought was only a feature of the first patten pistols.
    I never really understood the advantage of the screw solution over the pin except for easier removal of the catch which I would have thought was very rarely necessary.

Brian

In fact the use of a pin means that the catch is weaker because it is slotted right through. The front wings of the "T" on the catch then have a tendency to break off. Of course , this does not answer the question of why they might have changed to a pin . I would suggest that it was an attempt at some commonality between the two Marks to reduce extra processes.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    And the barrel pivot hole has a recess for a keeper screw head but the barrel appears to be pivoted on a rivet. More than just the barrel has been modified methinks. To cap it all , it's serial number is the highest recorded by John so I think he has had knowledge of this exact pistol before.
    Try having another look

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    And the barrel pivot hole has a recess for a keeper screw head but the barrel appears to be pivoted on a rivet. More than just the barrel has been modified methinks. To cap it all , it's serial number is the highest recorded by John so I think he has had knowledge of this exact pistol before.
    Sorry - I should have been clearer. This is now the highest serial number known to me as the highest number I previously knew of was 39284 (source: John Griffiths' book).

The top catch screw rather than pin was a Mk 2 feature - perhaps it went some way to justify the de-luxe description?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.