Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW77k Mk1 underlever catch - solutions?

Question HW77k Mk1 underlever catch - solutions?

Hi all

I own an HW77k, bought new in 84/85 (can’t remember), s/n 10151xx. It was used enthusiastically against woodpigeon for a couple of years, then I went to university rented rooms and then started travelling the world – just as my parents moved from the Burbs to 7 acres of Sussex woodland. Dad used it a bit to protect his new kitchen garden mainly against rabbits but they were too prevalent at 5.30am for him to dedicate stalking time, and he eventually bought a shotgun and was given two cats. They really reduced his rabbit problem, but now 30 years later he has to cope with deer, and a .22 rimfire is brought into play (means no need for an accurate head shot for any bunny that survives the Hunger Games). On top of that, being an HW77 Mk1, the ball bearing has dropped out of the underlever catch, a second time (it was repaired once by a reputable gunshop maybe 10-15 years ago – who also said, as I’d asked, the main spring didn’t need replacing it was fine) and is now lost.

I now live in Portugal with a garden 10 yards long and I don’t expect to move anytime soon, but I’m currently staying with my parents in Sussex and took the gun out again. My two teenage daughters have far less interest in killing things than I had at that age; the 15 year old tried shooting last week (during a dry spell!!) and found it interesting but said the gun was too heavy for her and pulling the underlever was tough.

Brutally, I/we can’t justify the gun.

So, as Dad had long since appropriated my original 1984 Kassnar scope for his rifle, and I’ve lost the rear sight, I just bought a BSA 3-9x40 scope for it…

I tried setting up the scope, shooting from a chair and resting on the outdoor table, but I have to lean my left hand really far forward to the end of the stock to use my index finger to hold the underlever in place while shooting, which means my “tripod” is really low and thus slips down easily – I think it also means I’m not pushing the gun into my shoulder well and that slips too. I gave up the sighting out of sheer frustration, I can’t get a respectable group if things keep slipping.

Now wondering what to do, and the time limit of my holiday means I have about 2 weeks to do it. Or at least 2 weeks to initiate it, and my parents can collect it for next time.

1. Easiest and coldest option – sell the gun. I have a slightly emotional attachment to it, bought it when I was 17 (honest, officer) and everyone else says it’s one of the best springers on the planet.
    2. Take it back to the gunshop and ask for another little spring and ball, see how long it lasts. I don’t have much faith in that.
    3. DIY insert a cabinet catch (seen as a solution recently, somewhere). Crude but effective?
    4. Go all out and ask a gunsmith to remove the foresight assembly and fit something better. Whether a newer version, or some aftermarket solution, I don’t know what, but it would probably cost me as much as the gun and two scopes together, seems extravagant in the circumstances. Oh how I regret not going for a V-Mach muzzle brake assembly 10 years ago when looking at them.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

The 77 is one of the all-time classics. Especially those with the 25mm internals, which your gun will have. Do not sell it, you will regret it. Option four every time.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I agree with Tony - option 4 👍🏻

And, while you're at the shop, get your daughter a Crosman 2250 and a load of pellets, Co2 capsules and targets 👍🏻

All of the above.

OK this won't be cheap...

More specific suggestions on what to do, how much it would cost, and where in Sussex/Kent as I think "posting" it is out of the question?

The end catches knock off but can be buggers to do but your gunsmith should be able to do that for you and replace it with a later version. If yours still has the front open sight attached and not cut off like many did then make you you ask for that back and they go from £40-£100 depending on how much someone wants one as they are rare to find now or you could get something to secure around the underlever and barrel for now to hold it up whilst firing until you decide what to do

When I removed the unit from one of mine it wasn't too bad. Heated it up with the wife's hairdryer and knocked it off with a piece of wood against the unit. Not saying they'll all be as easy, but this one wasn't a problem.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quick fix: neodymium magnet taped to the barrel.

My fix donkeys' years ago: long thin bolt (to pass through the foresight unit) with head ground to a hemisphere, spring and nut.

Magnet in the void where spring/ball was

Quite a few options here for you but as above have a go at changing the end block yourself. If you go to protek website he sells the different end blocks that you could fit or even better treat yourself to a replica venom end muzzle or see if anyone is selling a new one. I might even have a ball bearing and spring for your one in my spares I could let you have and you could try and do it yourself loads of information on how to do it on the internet and probably on here to

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Quick fix: neodymium magnet taped to the barrel.

My fix donkeys' years ago: long thin bolt (to pass through the foresight unit) with head ground to a hemisphere, spring and nut.
    Brilliant.

Oh I do like the magnet ideas particularly... Bolt and spring is pretty cool too.

Wondering - if I swap the end block for a later model, why is the earlier one worth so much, why is there a demand for them? Is it just some people wanting to "keep originality", or is there some sort of advantage to them - like maybe people don't like undoing the catch each time, or the catch itself goes wrong after a while? (Ah - or because some owners hacked off the original open sight and now new owners want to restore them?)

I wasn't aware of Protek, thank you, I'll phone them. "Replica venom end muzzle" - that choice of words might imply something that looks good but doesn't do the job so well, or something that is now made to similar standards as the original is no longer made - I hope the latter?

I see the Protek site lists a moderator/catch for an HW97, would that also fit a 77?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts so far

Just tried the dome-head bolt, spring and nut proposal. No chance, the tolerances are too small to allow a few coils of spring and a thin washer between the inner of the end block and the end of the underlever.

Now trying to phone Protek...

Not sure why the cabinet catch is considered crude. Very effective and not as crude, for me, as the original staked method.

It would be nice if you could drill a blind hole in the recess where the lever comes to rest in the foresight unit a glue in a suitable magnet. Nice invisible fix.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Option 4 has got to be the one, quite a few aftermarket fittings from the sound of it. Nick Simmons does a nice Venom style muzzle brake and magnetic underlever catch conversion from the pictures I’ve seen.
    Regards,
    Dave.