Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron sight HFT tip

Iron sight HFT tip

I’ve been using my iron sighted HW77 for a good while for HFT - I use it on days when I want to enjoy the ‘simple’ aspect of shooting, or when I’ve taken every other rifle I have to bits and have nothing in one piece to use...

I use the standard HW bead foresight insert as I find it more precise for shooting paper targets (with a clear background) - but in gloomy conditions and against ‘knock down’ targets, I’ve been finding difficulties - mostly with the bead obscuring the kill zone at further distances.
    Recently, I wound my windage out a few clicks, just enough to provide me with a clear picture at distance and found it greatly improved my shooting. I took the 77 to my local club today for the first time in a good while and shot my open sighted personal best, including a good few hits on forty plus yard targets.

Just thought I’d share my findings with other ‘iron sighters’.
    Cheers, Craig.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

That sounds like hard work Craig are you shooting a .22 as well

Mate, if I want that level of torture I’ll just shove a few wasps in my socks...

Love the HW77 Tyro!
    Did you put a barrel shroud on it?

===========
    Frank

Thanks Frank - yes the barrel was sleeved to give me a bit more stability.

Got to love those factory tyros.

Hi Craig.

Absolutely get where you're coming from about enjoying the 'simple' aspect of shooting. For the past four years or so I've been doing all my hft's with a 77 (mk1 stock) and standard open (front post) sights.

As you know doubt know it has lots of positives and negatives. You'll never pick up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd but occasionally you'll better a pcp - which is nice . Ten percent of the time you'll won't even be able to make out the target let alone hit it but then again you'll never be the one who uses the 'I knocked my scope' excuse for a duff score

I've tried a few shots with other folks guns and the HW80 tunnel front sight, with various inserts, but for me the post is the one - I guess it's just horses for courses.

I could be wrong but I think part of the concept of hft was that you could turn up with whatever gun you had and still enjoy it. Congratulations for keeping that spirit alive.

Enjoy and keep away from the dark side - you know - telescopic sights, red dots, pcps, etc.

Now where's me Webley Hawk with the bubble gum and broken matchstick front sight
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Hi Craig.

Absolutely get where you're coming from about enjoying the 'simple' aspect of shooting. For the past four years or so I've been doing all my hft's with a 77 (mk1 stock) and standard open (front post) sights.

As you know doubt know it has lots of positives and negatives. You'll never pick up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd but occasionally you'll better a pcp - which is nice . Ten percent of the time you'll won't even be able to make out the target let alone hit it but then again you'll never be the one who uses the 'I knocked my scope' excuse for a duff score

I've tried a few shots with other folks guns and the HW80 tunnel front sight, with various inserts, but for me the post is the one - I guess it's just horses for courses.

I could be wrong but I think part of the concept of hft was that you could turn up with whatever gun you had and still enjoy it. Congratulations for keeping that spirit alive.

Enjoy and keep away from the dark side - you know - telescopic sights, red dots, pcps, etc.

Now where's me Webley Hawk with the bubble gum and broken matchstick front sight
    Nail on the head buddy, nice to catch up with another ‘open sighter’.
    I personally can’t get used to the post element, it just seems too wide - but I’m enjoying experimenting with various setups (best part of that being, it’s so much cheaper than experimenting with optics costing hundreds of pounds).
    The enjoyment factor of bettering the score of that of a scoped rifle is indeed tremendous. I used to love shooting my TX against pcp users - but iron sights against any rifle with an optic far surpasses that, as you know.
    I can’t replace optics with irons as I do enjoy using nice scopes - but every now and then, they come into their own - I just wish there was a steady competition series.
    Best, Craig

Nice work!
    I've shot a few HFT rounds with diopter sights on my LGV. Absolutely punishing but a great challenge. Think 42/60 was my best effort.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Nice work!
    I've shot a few HFT rounds with diopter sights on my LGV. Absolutely punishing but a great challenge. Think 42/60 was my best effort.
    That’s a tremendous score, mate - well done.
    As you were very active on the circuit, you may know - do any of the major HFT competitions have open sight side shoots? I’ve never seen one on FT circuits (not since the Grand Prix shoots in the 80’s/90’s)

Brilliant stuff, Craig, and some lovely "atmospheric" photos to convey the feeling.

I also enjoy using many of my rifles with opens. As you say, so nice to "go back to basics" and with a nice set of sturdy open sights it's easier to keep zero, no worries over focussing / parallax issues etc. The sight line is close to the barrel centre line with most, too, giving that sleeker look and reducing the need for holdover at those mega short ranges. No magnification of wobbles is a huge confidence booster, too and I absolutely love the simplicity of, especially a basic break barrel, on opens. Great for the garden and hitting the spinners at the Bash at reasonable ranges. I haven't tried much past the 30 yards mark; maybe I should.

Personally with my eyes (been extremely short sighted for years - in need of a prescription upgrade again - and also now suffering with glaucoma) I think I'd struggle big time with opens on knockdowns in shaded areas and where they're in need of a re-paint, but top respect to all you super-snipers who can.

Will you be giving it a go with a peep rear in the near future too?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    That’s a tremendous score, mate - well done.
    As you were very active on the circuit, you may know - do any of the major HFT competitions have open sight side shoots? I’ve never seen one on FT circuits (not since the Grand Prix shoots in the 80’s/90’s)
    No side shoots in the time I've been shooting (HFT world's, UKAHFT, English open, daystate Midlands etc).
    To be honest it seems hard enough to get people to Marshall the main shoots, let alone volunteer to setup and run a side shoot.
    Generally people have to be press ganged into marshalling just to keep the main shoot running.

Can't imagine there would be much uptake for an open sights shoot either. Attendance in recoiling and .22 class is already poor. Lots of people try it, then go straight back to open class. Open sights would probably be the same. 2 or 3 die hard shooters, but not enough to run a class.

The organisers have such a tough job as it is (and they do a very good job with what they have!) I just can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    No side shoots in the time I've been shooting (HFT world's, UKAHFT, English open, daystate Midlands etc).
    To be honest it seems hard enough to get people to Marshall the main shoots, let alone volunteer to setup and run a side shoot.
    Generally people have to be press ganged into marshalling just to keep the main shoot running.

Can't imagine there would be much uptake for an open sights shoot either. Attendance in recoiling and .22 class is already poor. Lots of people try it, then go straight back to open class. Open sights would probably be the same. 2 or 3 die hard shooters, but not enough to run a class.

The organisers have such a tough job as it is (and they do a very good job with what they have!) I just can't see it happening.
    That’s a real shame. I used to enjoy the long range, dump shoot and pistol side shoots as much as I enjoyed the main event when I did the Grand Prix shoots, many moons ago.
    Shame and eye opening to learn attendance is less now than what it was in the 80’s/90’s, I honestly didn’t think that would be the case.
    Best, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Brilliant stuff, Craig, and some lovely "atmospheric" photos to convey the feeling.

I also enjoy using many of my rifles with opens. As you say, so nice to "go back to basics" and with a nice set of sturdy open sights it's easier to keep zero, no worries over focussing / parallax issues etc. The sight line is close to the barrel centre line with most, too, giving that sleeker look and reducing the need for holdover at those mega short ranges. No magnification of wobbles is a huge confidence booster, too and I absolutely love the simplicity of, especially a basic break barrel, on opens. Great for the garden and hitting the spinners at the Bash at reasonable ranges. I haven't tried much past the 30 yards mark; maybe I should.

Personally with my eyes (been extremely short sighted for years - in need of a prescription upgrade again - and also now suffering with glaucoma) I think I'd struggle big time with opens on knockdowns in shaded areas and where they're in need of a re-paint, but top respect to all you super-snipers who can.

Will you be giving it a go with a peep rear in the near future too?
    The atmospheric photographs are thankfully devoid of midges, mate
    I’ve been playing with a couple of peep sights but have found mixed results. What’s needed is a solid, no frills peep with basic adjustments, a bit like a BUIS on the military setups.

I feel a visit to Shaun and Ivan coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    The atmospheric photographs are thankfully devoid of midges, mate
    I’ve been playing with a couple of peep sights but have found mixed results. What’s needed is a solid, no frills peep with basic adjustments, a bit like a BUIS on the military setups.

I feel a visit to Shaun and Ivan coming on...
    Have you tried a Williams with click adjustments?