Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30/30 reticle

30/30 reticle

I've now gone back to a 30/30 reticle scope for airgun ranges.i decided that I didn't need the clutter of mildot,half mildot scopes etc.i used to get on perfectly fine with one before other rets came on the scene.how many of you also use a 30/30 or duplex reticle scope for airgun ranges?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    From memory I only own 1 scope that’s not 30/30.
    Master Debater

I like a scope with the 30/30 reticule don't no why? just do I think it gives me a wider view --as you say you don't see many about I find they tend to be old the school scopes - stupidly let one go not long back with a gun a old kassnar

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    I like a scope with the 30/30 reticule don't no why? just do I think it gives me a wider view --as you say you don't see many about I find they tend to be old the school scopes - stupidly let one go not long back with a gun a old kassnar
    30/30 Ret scopes are still being made,the one I've just purchased is the hawke vantage 4-12x40ao

From starting back into air rifles 15-20 years ago all my scopes were mildot or TMR. Even my Leupold Comp scope was sent away to have TMR fitted!. I sold that scope and ended up with Sightron MRAD scopes on my FT and HFT rifles for SWEFTA. Recently though I was hankering for a dedicated FT scope and I got another Leupold Comp with a 30/30 ret. Now years ago I wouldn't have bought it or had it changed, but now I'm dialing in not using holdover, I have no issue with the simple ret. Wind drift is calculated in mm so not having the clutter isn't a bad thing, and makes me think harder about how much I'm aiming off by using the kill size as my known measurement (ish) rather than picking one of many aim points on a busy ret. I'm not anti multi ret, just don't find 30/30 a disadvantage either.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I've always been happy with a 30/30 reticle for the majority of my shooting, even when hunting years ago. However, those mildots certainly make life easier when shooting at those smaller targets at 75 yards at the Boinger Bashes. And, of course, invaluable for the HFT peeps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    30/30 Ret scopes are still being made,the one I've just purchased is the hawke vantage 4-12x40ao
    I hadn't realised that but then again haven't bought a new scope for god no's how long usually always second hand bargains

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I've now gone back to a 30/30 reticle scope for airgun ranges.i decided that I didn't need the clutter of mildot,half mildot scopes etc.i used to get on perfectly fine with one before other rets came on the scene.how many of you also use a 30/30 or duplex reticle scope for airgun ranges?
    I used to only ever buy multi aim point scopes but now I’ve started putting classic optics on my Single Stroke Pneumatic rifles I’m actually really enjoying the simplicity of duplex. Just zero at 25yd and plink away
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

i like the duplex for target practice in my garden

Both of my rifles now have duplex reticle scopes - one of my favourite reticles has always been SCB/AMX but, at the moment I'm really liking the simple crosshair.

I struggled most with half mildot - there's just way too many little markers for my eyes.

All of the above.

There is nothing wrong with a 3030 ret. I shot HFT for anwhile with one.

I do more pest.control and like longer ranges so a decent christmas tree ladder ret suits me better.

The boers kicked our arses with iron sights .... so no reas9n why 3030 0rneven German postncant do the business.

However, I hate thick cross hairs.

Better still.... if purposes suit. A 3030 wi5h an illuminated dot is superb
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I too prefer it.

My main hunting rifles have them and in fact my HW97 .22 has a 4x32 on it which was a Vantage with mildots but I managed to get myself on a very good example of a Tasco AG 4x32 so this is now getting the use it was made for. Looks the part on a 97 with an old style 77 stock.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I always liked what I refer to as "tight duplex" rets for hunting... probably more like 15/15 than 30/30.

Basically, on 9x mag, I had it so with a zero of around 30-35 yards, the pointed tip of the bottom duplex post is a perfect 45 yard holdover point (my max .177 range), or 40 yards for .22. Kinda like a "1 mildot" ret...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I always liked what I refer to as "tight duplex" rets for hunting... probably more like 15/15 than 30/30.

Basically, on 9x mag, I had it so with a zero of around 30-35 yards, the pointed tip of the bottom duplex post is a perfect 45 yard holdover point (my max .177 range), or 40 yards for .22. Kinda like a "1 mildot" ret...
    I know the ret' you mean John. I think it's marketed for HMR scopes, I've a couple and it works well as a holdover point with a zero at 25yds. I think (depending on manufacturer) it gets branded as the 'dual x' ret' or 'multi x ret'.

If I go on a standard 30/30 ret' with my .177", the base of the hair is perfect at x7 mag for the bucket at the hollow with a 25yd zero.

Reticles