Thread: Old Oil

Old Oil

This is just the thing if you have a suitable cased set and it looks like the seller is a BSA fan too!

On that auction site: 304102181364

I'm not a shotgun man but am guessing the can dates from between the wars or could it be earlier?

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

LOL John. It's not really a lubricant oil. more of a rust preventer for tropical climes or long term storage in Wild and wet West coast Scotland.

I used to use it on my wildfowling guns when I couldn.t get hold of pure lanolin to protect against salt spray. ACF 50 is better stuff for storing items nowadays

Possibly a complimentary accessory to a cased pair of Webley Mk1s from Malaysia? That's the only airgun use I can think for it.

edbear2 Guest
    Here you go John, a stunning more modern cased gun showing the original tin of Rangoon with others if you read the description, as stated it is a preserving oil, but is often in sets of both rifles and shotguns as you mentioned when I did an image search. I can imagine anyone heading abroad or buying from the Army and Navy stores back in the day would have some for tropical or cold climes on hand, and a chap to apply it

http://www.hallowellco.com/holland%20O-U%2020ga.htm

ATB, ED

That Holland & Holland gun is probably the best I’ve seen to this day! What an incredible master piece.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

it is very nice

Thanks All,

I did say I knew next to nothing on such matters!

It does look like a nice period accessory though and just the thing to keep with a cased Webley if you don't have an original Webley oil can.

Kind Regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.