Thread: Hello from Durham.

Hello from Durham.

Hi there folks.

My name is Darren, I've been shooting air guns in one form or another for 40 years or so.

I started with a BSA Mercury which I still have.

I dabbles in a few other rifles, HW75, HW90 and finally settles on an Air Arms S410. Those I no longer have.

The S410 was a lovely bit of kit to shoot, at the time I used to like to fill my freezer with it an only really shot targets when ensuring correct sighting in.

After a while I fell out of love with filling the freezer and went to only target shooting / plinking. I have to say I didn't enjoy it, I could hit anything put in front of me nine times out of ten but the fun was gone. I tried my old Mercury but it didn't have the finesse of the S410 to shoot and so my love for the hobby faded, the S410 was sold and the BSA oiled up, bagged and set aside and forgotten about.

I have since got heavily into archery, used to shoot Archery GB but found their judges interpretation of dress code and some rules to really take the fun out of and competition shooting.
    Being asked what colour green was on the label of my hiking trousers because if it said 'olive' I'd not be allowed to shoot or would have to change them and spending an hour waiting to see if I could shoot my bow in a field competition as they thought it was against the rules, the same rest that I had been advised to use by a judge at a previous competition became a bit tedious.

I then found the National Field Archery Association. My word it was like chalk and cheese. Competitions are so much more relaxed and as a family we find ourselves going more for the interaction with friends we have found over the years, rather than trying for a bit of tin!!

Anyway cue the plague and with my better half and I being nurses we worked through everything going on but we have stopped attending all of our archery jaunts, even while double jabbed this has been our choice even now as the chance of transmission is there still and alas the people we work with are rather vulnerable to said plague.

Last week I decided to dust off my old BSA and shot a few slugs in the garden just as something different to do. While there I dusted off the rifle 'her who must be obeyed' had as a kit and set too stripping, cleaning and re greasing it.
    I've never had my hands on an A.S.I. Rangemaster micro-accuracy but what a lovely bit of kit it is to shoot. An Elgamo model that will never win any prises for power, the thing is lovely and smooth.

This got me to looking into what new stuff is out there, since I've not looked at slug guns for about thirty years things have change a bit haven't they!!!

Anyway that's a bit about me. Thanks for the acceptance on the forum.

Cheers
    Darren

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Welcome Darren.

Nice part of the world.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

welcome to the forum enjoy it