Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theoben Elan - what’s it worth

Quote Originally Posted by cos.mos View Post
    Thanks again for your help, I’m not certain that 20+ years is a viable option for retired bloke like myself.

It’s curious that whilst I love the gun, I’m kinda concerned that if I use it, it will get damaged in some way, which is worsened by the fact that it is a rare gun. I also think that it would be very difficult to replace with one in a similar condition.

Perhaps I should pass it on to another custodian to enjoy and carry that responsibility.

All sounds a bit crass when I read it back but it’s where I am. Also, on the negative side is the possibility that to insure it at a reasonable rate I won’t be able to take it out in the field. But shooting it in the back garden is a joy … but the Mrs isn’t too keen

I’ll let you know what way I choose …

ATB

cos.mos
    Just use it, after all, that is what they are meant for.
    Or sell it and buy something cheaper to bash round the land with.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Just use it, after all, that is what they are meant for.
    Or sell it and buy something cheaper to bash round the land with.
    Apart from a small collection of early spring air rifles all my guns are tools for a purpose - the exception is the Elan.

I use my R7 (1990 fac), AAS410 TDR, AAS200 for specific purposes.

R7 for rats, rabbits, crows, squirrels and pigeons around the permissions and the S410 TDR for permissions of mine where a discreet approach is necessary - feral control around buildings etc. The S200 is for garden plinking and the odd crow or magpie or woody or squirrel that ventures in.

The Elan doesn’t have a specific purpose, it doesn’t quite fit with my reasons and shooting needs - it’s a piece of art, practical yes, but why risk damage when I have specific purpose tools for the job. So it sits in the cupboard and comes out occasionally to play or show a mate - like today …

But I do understand your sentiment the other guns, as I say, are tools with a purpose.

ATB

cos.mos
    When I die I want to go in my sleep like my father, not screaming, like the passengers in his car ...