Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley mk3

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I think I have a spare piston with a good seal on it, Ray --- if I can find it you can have it.

All the best Mick
    Very kind of you sir Mick 😎
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    Very kind of you sir Mick 😎
    I have a little problem, Ray, I can't find the good piston.

My other spare MK3 seal appears to have been eroded by dieseling, but I have found a good seal on a prewar Diana 35 piston that you're welcome to.

All the best Mick

No worries , I think I will have a go at making one. If you know anyone selling a mk3 in good fettle can you pass my details on please😉

Thanks
    BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    No worries , I think I will have a go at making one. If you know anyone selling a mk3 in good fettle can you pass my details on please😉

Thanks
    BBF
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying that one at the bash that Steve Pope had fitted a Rekord trigger unit to.

Whilst on the subject of Mk 3's.......has anyone got a spare stock for sale (later type)?
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    If you have never stripped a MKIII before, have a read of Idiots Guide topic No.11. It might help.
    Re leather washer making: In brief: assuming you have removed the old washer and still have the bits that attach it to the piston: I cut a leather disc that will be too big once fitted. I do not worry about it being a perfect circle. Then get a jubilee clip that will fasten around the piston. Treat leather disc with 'leather stretcher' (Isopropyl alcohol) sold to cure too tight shoes. Fasten disc to piston. Put jubilee clip on such that it begins to compress the outer edge of the disc around the piston. Slowly tighten the clip until the disc is the same diam as the piston but with a clear cup outer edge. Adding extra ipa can help. When about right, release clip a bit and upend piston and disc in neatsfoot oil. Let oil soak into leather for a day then begin tightening the clip again to form the cup. Try releasing the clip to see if a good cup has formed. Once it has, try fitting the cup in the cylinder. Hopefully it will be a good fit but it most often is too tight so you have to continue the compressing part a while longer. Once you have it right then you can use the outer rim of the clip as a guide to cut excess leather away ... but leave the edge proud of the end of the securing screw by about 2mm. Note that you will most likely have a recess around the new cup where it meets the piston end. The 'proud edge' will allow the new washer to compress to fill the recess while leaving the edge flush with the securing screw.
    If the new washer is too tight, it is possible to reduce the od by careful use of 'wet and dry' used dry. but keep it clean before trying to refit for size. Persevere .. you can do it.
    Good luck
    Cheers, Phil
    That is a rather nice way to set about making cup washers. It saves on the need for punches & forming blocks etc which either need to be obtained or knocked up for the job in hand. I like the idea of using the edge of the jubilee clip as the trimming guide too. I like it.