Thread: Re-lubing guns in storage

Re-lubing guns in storage

I have a few Webley's & BSA's from the 80's/90's which are effectively new & unused, some still in their boxes. I've had them out recently and noticed a lot of the factory grease has dried out, leaving behind the calcium soap which sort of crumbles and drops off in chunks.

I feel that they can't really be left like this, even though they are in completely original condition they couldn't possibly be fired if I chose to.

So the question is, if I very carefully strip them for a clean & re-lube, would it be wrong to use anything other than the original type grease? i.e. a light brown calcium/lithium base lubricant applied in the same places & quantities.

Cheers
    Greg

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I don't really see how a removable protective coating has any bearing on the originality of a gun. Why not use vaseline? I always do. It is a pure hydrocarbon, totally inert and non-residue formng. If it is good enough for a baby's bottom, it is not going to do an airgun any harm. The only reason it is not used more industrially is that it is expensive, and not as good a lubricant as conventional soap greases.