Thread: scope run out

scope run out

Hi,
    Having shot long range 1000m+ i understand the need for a MOA (20 MOA) rail,
    However now i'm experiancing quite the opposite? I'm shooting at 25 m on an indoor range with a smallbore benchrest set up.
    And my scope has run out of vertical adjustment? is this a similar principle? but at such short ranges do i need to elevate upwards from the front to raise the the POA?

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi,
    However now i'm experiancing quite the opposite? I'm shooting at 25 m on an indoor range with a smallbore benchrest set up.
    And my scope has run out of vertical adjustment? is this a similar principle? but at such short ranges do i need to elevate upwards from the front to raise the the POA?
    Yes, the principle is the same. Remember the bullet starts dropping as soon as it leaves the muzzle, but your sightline is laser flat. If your shots are too low the muzzle has to come up - you need to raise the back end of the scope (taller rearsight for irons). If the shots are too high the muzzle has to go down - you need to lower the back of the 'scope.

As above , shim up the rear of the scope or get a 20 MOA rail for the rifle,either will do the job

Thumbs up

All agreed as above. Burris make Signature rings that have offset ‘Pos-Align’ inserts that zero the scope in the rings, so can give extra elevation and windage adjustment range. They might be a cheaper option than a sloped rail too. I have been using them for years and really impressed with them.
    (BTW, your inbox is full Stevie. Do drop me a line, it would be great to catch up!)

Hi,
    Moa Rail or adjustable mounts...lift the back mount up to raise the poi.
    I
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi,
    If shots are low with the turret at maximum (up) elevation then you need to lift the back.

If shots are high with the turret at minimum (down) elevation then you need to lift the front.

However it's unusual for an air rifle to run out at 25m, it's normally the much closer ranges like 10m which give it an issue, especially when combined with a high scope rail. So it might be worth looking at why that is, because even with a high or low rail you should be within the scope's range of adjustment off the bat.

A rail or adjustable mounts is the best solution. Shimming has been found to put stress on the scope's internals as it bends the tube.