The following is not for the Webley purists among you, so if the abuse of a cherished Webley classic will offend you, please move on to the next thread.

Every year I am plagued by wasps, and so far I have had to deal with one nest every year over the past four years. When the nest is away from the house I have found strong ammonia to be very effective, but for obvious reasons I can’t use it when the nest is in or near the house. Two years ago a nest was established in a flat roof area of the house, with the nest entrance just under the eaves. As it was impossible to get near it to use pesticide powder, I had to call in the professionals. A fully kitted-out guy inserted a tube in the entrance hole and pumped powder in under pressure. This did the trick, but cost me £90.

Although I thought I had sealed all the gaps against the wall, this year another nest appeared, about a meter or so farther along from the old nest. I didn’t feel inclined to fork out another £90, so I decided to see if I could get an air rifle to do the job. I attached a length of plastic tubing to the muzzle of my favourite air rifle, a Webley Mark 3 , and inserted a paper wad in the loading tap and another wad a third of the way down the barrel from the muzzle. Wasp killing powder was then poured down the tubing to fill it to near the top. I waited unto dark when the nest was quiet and then, perched on stepladders, I was able to hold the cocked gun and push the end of the plastic tube into the nest entrance hole. After firing the gun just a trace of powder could be seen to puff out from the hole, the rest of it being blasted into the recesses of the nest. Next day, and thereafter, not a sign of a wasp – so job done, no mess, and cost me nothing. So Wasps 0, Me 4 so far.

The following pic is a daylight mock-up - if you try this method yourself, make sure you do it at night!

Yes, I did clean the gun up thoroughly afterwards,and it is none the worse for its little adventure.

Anyone know of any other unusual uses of an airgun?