Thread: .25 Barrel on Old VW 80 (50 yrs)

.25 Barrel on Old VW 80 (50 yrs)

Had the 80 about 50yrs.Its been a fabulous tool with every conceivable mod applied.i.e.phos bronze piston wts .transfer port enlarged.top hat spring guides.
    Many years ago i was at a show and was talking to T.ROBB he told me to remove all the gumins i had fitted and fit 'this spring'.Well guys 24ftlbs was the result in .22 with a bark that was a joy to hear.
    I have both 177 and 22 barrels with loading levers attached so its a quick job to swop over.
    Question is if i purchased a .25 barrel would this also fit and work on the old girl?.I realise this might be a little more expensive than the last 80 barrel from John Knibbs which cost the princely sum of £11 yes 11.
    Grateful for any ideas with this and hope my thread was not to boring.
    Cheers ;Richard

Hw80

Yep the new barrels will fit on the old 80 but at around £120 you may want to look at S/H. The 80 runs best at around 18-20 ft lbs. Note the HW80 is 40 years old this year. Mach 1.5

edbear2 Guest
    Easy job, but make sure the cocking arm is included if you don't have a spare

I have one on a 1983 rifle;

ATB, Ed

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?885947-25-Barrel-on-Old-VW-80-(50-yrs)&p=8058

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Yep the new barrels will fit on the old 80 but at around £120 you may want to look at S/H. The 80 runs best at around 18-20 ft lbs. Note the HW80 is 40 years old this year. Mach 1.5
    Yes 18 - 20 ft lbs was the best power level quoted to me by John Bowkett when he did my son's old 80 he did the works even fitted a barrel latch to stop barrel flip.That was the most amazing accurate Air rifle i have even had ,long since sold on to fund a project.
    T.Robb spring had to go as a bit over 12 ft lbs.My 80 now 11.6 with Barracuda heavies in 177.I guess the .25s will be a lob and drop process but what fun.

HW 80 Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Easy job, but make sure the cocking arm is included if you don't have a spare

I have one on a 1983 rifle;

ATB, Ed
    Thanks for the reply,haven't found a .25 Barrel yet but have just ordered a .20 and barrel level.
    .20 cal most underrated cal in the Air Gun world.Old pal had an 80 in .20 he would lie down in the fields and snot Rabbits at amazing ranges .
    Cheers and thanks again.