Thread: “UMA” brand Milbro airguns

“UMA” brand Milbro airguns

Prompted by a conversation on the other forum (see Unframed Dave’s recent post for the sad inter-forum stupidity).

It appears that UMA, the 1972-vintage initial version of what became UMAREX (via UMARECK - as in the Reck blank guns) may at some point in the 70s or early 80s sold some Milbro guns under that brand on the continent (where M&G still owned the Diana trade mark).

There’s also an intruiging reference in Walter (3rd edition) that some of the Milbro plant after they folded was sold “to Spain”.

Which suggest three options:

1. Milbro sold guns on the continent via UMA.

2. A Spanish maker briefly kept making guns on the Milbro machinery and sold them via UMA.

3. Either both, or something else.

Anyone know anything?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    The only information I have pertains to pistols, more particularly the pop-out SP-50 made by Milbro. To summarise:

• the Milbro SP50 was made by Milbro in Scotland between 1972 and 1982, when they closed down.

• some time post- 1988 the Hy-Score Arms in Kent were making the SP50, presumably from the purchase of redundant Milbro equipment, and some were exported to UMAREX in Germany for resale branded as the UMA SP50

• El Gamo in Spain also bought equipment from Milbro in 1983 to make the SP50, which was branded and sold as the Winnus SP50.

It seems odd that two companies could be making the same gun separately, but you have to remember that the SP50 is largely a die cast product and so there could easily be more than one set of dies etc. available for sale after Milbro closed down.

John

Umarex imported Milbro Dianas in the 1970s and its highly likely they had to re-brand them for continental markets. I have never seen a Uma but I stumbled on a strange 70s era Umarex branded pseudo match rifle years ago that wore a Milbro Diopter. May have just been a retro fitment. I did not recognise any other component of the rifle or what it may have been based on but I guessed a Milbo at the time due to having eliminated pretty much everything else.

The only thing I can add is when researching the classic Diana/Milbro Mk IV pistol I became aware of a 1970s pistol that was stamped PERFECTA + the F within pentagon on the forward left side of the cocking lever. Undoubtedly exported to Germany.

I wonder if a continental collector that has contemporary catalogues can add any more detail?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The only thing I can add is when researching the classic Diana/Milbro Mk IV pistol I became aware of a 1970s pistol that was stamped PERFECTA + the F within pentagon on the forward left side of the cocking lever. Undoubtedly exported to Germany.

I wonder if a continental collector that has contemporary catalogues can add any more detail?

John
    Hi John.

It looks like the Perfecta name is still owned and used by Umerex :-

https://www.umarex.com/search/Perfecta/

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi John.

It looks like the Perfecta name is still owned and used by Umerex :-

https://www.umarex.com/search/Perfecta/

All the best Mick
    Thanks Mick,

I had a feeling there was a connection and you have confirmed it!

Kind Regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Im sure that someone who is much better than me at these things will do a search on here, BUT I'm pretty sure that someone put up pics of a rebadged Milbro on here a few years ago (that probably means 4 or 5 ) . From memory it had a different name and model number.

Well I had a go -----------and it is here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ilbro+rebadged

Uma and model 61

more here https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue
    Last edited by ggggr; 10-08-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"