Thread: Dies - advice needed, please

Dies - advice needed, please

Hello all, I want to start reloading for 6.5 x 47 Lapua (target) and 6.5 Creedmoor (hunting). Can someone kindly recommend some good die sets? I hear Redding are good? I will happily pay for good kit, but I have no idea where to start. I’m not after ‘cheap and cheerful’.

Thanks in advance!

P.s. if you’re so inclined and have the time, please also recommend the other individual components I should buy. I am a total novice.

To be honest, if you're just starting reloading "cheap and cheerful" is the way to go... your technique, (when you develop one) will affect the accuracy of the ammo more than the make of dies will.

I've always used Lee dies and presses, and they'll produce sub-MOA ammo if i do my part.

Apart from the essential hardware (Dies, Press, powder measure, powder scales, case trimmer, micrometer) you'll need to buy (and read!!) a good reloading manual.. i think the Sierra or Lyman ones are the most highly regarded.

Also, only go by the powder or bullet manufacturers recommendations for loads...don't go by some "internet expert's" loads... "i always use xx.xgns of xx powder and my gun hasn't blown up yet".... "yet" being the concerning part...

Daryll.

Thanks Daryll

Thanks Daryll, that’s really useful advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    To be honest, if you're just starting reloading "cheap and cheerful" is the way to go... your technique, (when you develop one) will affect the accuracy of the ammo more than the make of dies will.

I've always used Lee dies and presses, and they'll produce sub-MOA ammo if i do my part.

Apart from the essential hardware (Dies, Press, powder measure, powder scales, case trimmer, micrometer) you'll need to buy (and read!!) a good reloading manual.. i think the Sierra or Lyman ones are the most highly regarded.

Also, only go by the powder or bullet manufacturers recommendations for loads...don't go by some "internet expert's" loads... "i always use xx.xgns of xx powder and my gun hasn't blown up yet".... "yet" being the concerning part...

Daryll.

All the die makers make great dies. The difference I've seen is that some of them are made really well to different chamber specifications. Lee 7.5x55 work the brass more and lead to cracked necks in my K31. Redding don't. Only on that calibre though (I suspect it was made for a earlier set of chamber dimensions). There shouldn't be a problem with anything where SAAMI publish chamber specifications.

I use Lee dies for everything else.

Forster dies for me. But then, i do use a Forster coaxial press and have done so for years.
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

majority of mine are lee with a mixture of rcbs, hornady and redding etc.
    nothing wrong with lee if set up correctly

Setting Up for Reloading.

Hi Denis - some good info available to you already.

My own reloading kit is a mix of stuff from RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Redding.

Some was new some has been used and I would suggest to you that if are starting from ground zero - look out for someone who is Quitting and buy a whole set up in one hit.

My first press a Reloader Special (RCBS) was acquired used from someone who packed in about 1983 and I have been using it since then - heaven knows how old it is but I would not be surprised if it was from the 1960's.

I have since had presses from RCBS. Lyman, Lee and when we has pistols I had some Australian dies they were "simplex" I think?

You will need

A Good manual
    Dies
    Shell holder
    Press
    Powder measure
    Scales
    Case Trimmer
    Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Case Lube pad or something like Imperial sizing wax (use very sparingly)
    Inside outside deburring tool
    Priming tool
    Reloading Tray for cases.
    Vernier or digital calipers / micrometer

You can in the first instance get by without some of this

I would also very strongly recommend you try and sit down with friends who already reload and have them show you the ropes - you can also check out what they use and see if you have preferences. there is a lot of good stuff on u-tube, but that is no substitute for hands on with a friend.

I would also invest in a couple of spare "decapping pins" for your dies a few basic tools for your press, spanners, screwdrivers, Allen keys, etc

Also you will get primers in sideways or upside down and perhaps have issues like this so wear safety glasses when reloading

Because there are many ways of doing things try and see what fits you - as an example I always clean the primer pockets of carbon but you might not bother. I de-prime and size and then take a box and clean their primer pockets whilst watching TV. I also use a hand priming tool to seat primers however the RCBS Press has an attachment for case priming on the press.

There are newer systems you could have where primers are dispensed from plastic strips so you may have a preference for one system over another

Another thing to add to your kit - small torch or desk lamp to check you haven't missed the powder in a case or double charged it.

Later on you might want a case cleaner or tumbler.

As with all things there will be several options and brands personally I have acquired a lot of things as people have given up bought a firearm and the cases and dies with it.

Keep it clean and where relevant lubed and it will last and out do you!

Do not leave powder in a dispenser empty it when you have finished each session the same with primers only put out those you will use.

Its also worth investing in re-useable plastic ammo boxes and a label maker

Hope that helps!
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Make sure you use case lube on the cartridge cases or they will jam in the die.

I had problems with Lee dies, so switched to RCBS & Hornady, no further issues, the rest of my kit is still mostly Lee.

Manual wise, I prefer the "One Book, One Calibre" series, which list loads for multiple powders & bullets for a specific Calibre.