Thread: Anschutz 335 accuracy tests with open sights and scope

Anschutz 335 accuracy tests with open sights and scope

Further to my last post, which discussed the difference between the various marks of the 335 and attracted considerable comment, I have today found time to test the 335 Mk 1 I recently bought.

First, what has already been said about the accuracy appears to be correct. At 10, 15 and 20yds outdoors, in a moderate wind, I obtained clover leaf groups with open sights using cushions as a rest. That stated, it took some time to get used to the sliding rear sight, which has its own peculiarities. I had to raise the rear blade, within the rear sight (the blade offers two options) to its maximum height, via two small adjusting screws. I then had to raise the rear sight to approx 50-60% of its elevation in order to get the pellet into the target centre.

Shooting, next, at small bulls at 25yds was too taxing on my eyes so, at this point, I placed a x4 Hawke scope onto the rifle. This made things much easier and, whilst my eyes were then flagging, I think it would be possible to obtain clover leaf groups at 25yds too, using cushions as a rest.

Accupells were hopeless with the 335 but, interestingly, are very good with my Original 45. I tried a very old tin of H&N Match pellets (wadcutters), which were excellent in the 335, and these were closely followed by JSBs, which were labelled as 4.51mm. I will obtain a tin of S.dome and see how they perform in due course.

I noticed that the rear securing screw, in front of the trigger, had worked its way loose. After tightening, it was then necessary to reduce the sights by 1.5 inches, approx. I will have to keep an eye on this but perhaps it was not securely tight to begin.

The trigger was not bad; not up to the modern standard but quite easy to master nonetheless and perfectly acceptable.

I am now wondering whether I might put an Anschutz peep sight into the rear of the rifle, in place of the scope.

For collectors, the 335 certainly has a place. It is a pleasing rifle and quite excellent given it is now probably some 40+ years old. Whilst it might not have been up to the power of some of its contemporaries, it makes up for this in accuracy and operation.

Rgds
    A

Good stuff, Andrew.

And a timely reminder that I have to get mine up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Good stuff, Andrew.

And a timely reminder that I have to get mine up and running.
    Yes, you ought do so and see how it performs but it might require some oil on the washer. It really is most pleasing to test and use these wonderful engineered products from leading craftsmen.

Rgds
    A

I had an earlier type target one for a little while with a williams peep sight, that I bought from a junk shop for a bargain price. It had not been shot for years. I oiled the washer through the transfer port and lightly lubed the spring through the cocking lever slot. It soon settled down and it was incredibly easy to hit things with it. I let a friend have it soon after. But that rifle had lots of potential. I was very impressed.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Good stuff Andrew.
    Haven't shot a 335 for lengthy periods just on occasional basis to remind myself how accurate they are. As they come I think they are a good hunting gun when you get you're eye in. I often wondered if a heavier chunkier stock would benefit the gun for maybe target work? The gun is light as it stands and I think a little more weight to dampen recoil a little further may be of benefit. Of course the 6ft llb versions won't need this.
    Perhaps a bit of thread lock on that rear stock bolt may be beneficial?
    Do you think the gun is up to taking the occasional grey there with you?
    Dave

Thanks.

Yes, having now tried it out, I think it is a lightish rifle and a chunkier stock would help for target work and would probably absorb more of the recoil but I am not sure that much can be done on this front. Certainly, it is more than capable of dealing with the odd grey!

I had to google thread lock to see what it was. I have tightened the screw so this might not be necessary but shall keep this under observation and will make use of your idea if necessary.

If I find time, I shall give it a further airing later today, where we now have calm conditions.

Rgds
    A