Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early air rifles with double main springs

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Looks fishy to me - hard to tell but possibly two different wire diameters? This puzzle can be solved by taking the spring(s) out to see what's up.
    As I recall, the trigger block can be unscrewed without removing the trigger pin - do keep track of the trigger return spring as it could pop out.
    Undamaged screw slots are not a sure indication of virginity, as careful use of good-fitting screwdrivers can leave no trace.

Don R.
    Would I need to use a spring compressor? Not sure what I would necessarily gain by the “surgery”? If one of the 2 springs was replaced, it looks to be the right length given the spring compression at cocking. The rifles works fine. If I find a replacement spring the best solution would probably be a new single spring? Easy job for you but new ground for me!

In my FLZ, both the springs are the same length, diameter and wire gauge, and yes, they simply butt up against each other...and ground out an undesirable sound when cocking!
    BSA Mercury S - FWB 600 - BSF S54N - FLZ Original V - Harrington Gat - Diana 16 / 22 / 23 (x2) / 24D / 27 (x2) / 27S (Geco 55R!) / 50M - Crosman 761XL (WTF!)

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Would I need to use a spring compressor? Not sure what I would necessarily gain by the “surgery”? If one of the 2 springs was replaced, it looks to be the right length given the spring compression at cocking. The rifles works fine. If I find a replacement spring the best solution would probably be a new single spring? Easy job for you but new ground for me!
    I didn't use a spring compressor for my FLZ Original Mod. V and it was no issue to control the release of the spring, nor to put it back together again after I'd overhauled the internals.

There's an old catalogue that gives the spring sizes for the FLZ guns, but I'd guess your XX will be like my Original V, in which case an HW30 spring works. First time I've cut down a spring (hacksaw). Flattened the end with pliers after a quick heat up with a gas burner, then ground it flat on a grindstone in a drill. Turned out great.

The original springs were 20.5mm outside diameter, 13mm internal diameter, length c. 12cm. I think I ended up chopping the single HW30 replacement spring down to about 22cm. Probably you can go longer if you do have a spring compressor but the power I'm getting is enough for plinking.
    BSA Mercury S - FWB 600 - BSF S54N - FLZ Original V - Harrington Gat - Diana 16 / 22 / 23 (x2) / 24D / 27 (x2) / 27S (Geco 55R!) / 50M - Crosman 761XL (WTF!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swissairgun View Post
    I didn't use a spring compressor for my FLZ Original Mod. V and it was no issue to control the release of the spring, nor to put it back together again after I'd overhauled the internals.

There's an old catalogue that gives the spring sizes for the FLZ guns, but I'd guess your XX will be like my Original V, in which case an HW30 spring works. First time I've cut down a spring (hacksaw). Flattened the end with pliers after a quick heat up with a gas burner, then ground it flat on a grindstone in a drill. Turned out great.

The original springs were 20.5mm outside diameter, 13mm internal diameter, length c. 12cm. I think I ended up chopping the single HW30 replacement spring down to about 22cm. Probably you can go longer if you do have a spring compressor but the power I'm getting is enough for plinking.
    Thanks good info, yes I would certainly think the spring would be the same. All I need is courage! Lol Got to remember I changed a piston on a Erma rifle with a makeshift compressor. But there I had a non working rifle.
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-08-2021 at 08:12 PM.

I had the cylinder in a place it couldn't move sideways or away from me, and my left hand stopped it rising up. Heavy leather glove on the right to unscrew and hold the end block but it was all very tame. You can get a good feeling from the cocking effort of the gun.

Out of interest, what the diameter of the transfer port on your XX? A 4.5mm pellet will just go through the transfer port of my Original V, which shocked me! No wonder someone had no trouble feeding a couple of nails into the cylinder to mangle the piston washer and its retaining bolt! : (

I had the cylinder in a place it couldn't move sideways or away from me, and my left hand stopped it rising up. Heavy leather glove on the right to unscrew and hold the end block but it was all very tame. You can get a good feeling from the cocking effort of the gun.

Out of interest, what the diameter of the transfer port on your XX? A 4.5mm pellet will just go through the transfer port of my Original V, which shocked me! No wonder someone had no trouble feeding a couple of nails into the cylinder to mangle the piston washer and its retaining bolt! : (
    Yes my transfer port is the same the head of a pellet will fit in, didn’t try the tail! Looks like you had ample reason to dismantle yours. Positive parts of loading is the barrel is so tight I have to start my pellets with a seater. No way are they dropping back into the port.
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-08-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Steve, I wouldn't assume the spring dimensions to be the same as for another FLZ model; it would depend on how close dimensions such as tube diameter and stroke dimensions are between the two. That said, the OD and length mentioned for an Original V is not too far from what came in my XX.

Swissairgun, your dimensions indicate a wire dia. of 3.75 mm which would be mighty stout if it's round - or is the wire flat/oval section? Any info appreciated.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes my transfer port is the same the head of a pellet will fit in, didn’t try the tail! Looks like you had ample reason to dismantle yours. Positive parts of loading is the barrel is so tight I have to start my pellets with a seater. No way are they dropping back into the port.

Same with my Original Mod. V: the breech is really so tight that if I don't seat the pellets about 8mm then the air pressure dissipates slowly instead of shooting the pellet.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Swissairgun, your dimensions indicate a wire dia. of 3.75 mm which would be mighty stout if it's round - or is the wire flat/oval section? Any info appreciated.
    I will check out the original springs and post a pic if I can.

I will check out the original springs and post a pic if I can.
    Can you post a pic of the original springs and your rifle?

Same with my Original Mod. V: the breech is really so tight that if I don't seat the pellets about 8mm then the air pressure dissipates slowly instead of shooting the pellet.
    I can load a pellet without seating and it will still fire the pellet but has to take toll on speed?