Thread: Old BSA break barrel question

Old BSA break barrel question

I have parts of a scrap pre war BSA break barrel which consists of only a knackered stock, deep pitted cylinder and (bent) barrel. It also has a trigger block serial 382 & trigger blade.
    It really is scrap & will go on a shed wall but I notice on the trigger block is neatly & finely stamped A G Parker (I think).
    What would this be a gun retailer of the day perhaps?

https://imgur.com/gallery/KfPsDnP

Steve
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Yes, a retailer ,often of slightly modified BSA stuff, and actual makers of sights of their own design, as well as other accessories. Eventually becoming Parker Hale I believe.
    I have a rifle very similar to yours though in better condition, marked in the same way.
    If that was my gun I should make an effort to put it back in working order, it really doesn't look so bad in your pics
    I like the soft jaws ,by the way..
    Atb
    Mark

Just realised mine's actually a Light Model..
    Last edited by Farsight; 12-08-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Yes, a retailer ,often of slightly modified BSA stuff, and actual makers of sights of their own design, as well as other accessories. Eventually becoming Parker Hale I believe.
    I have a rifle very similar to yours though in better condition, marked in the same way.
    If that was my gun I should make an effort to put it back in working order, it really doesn't look so bad in your pics
    I like the soft jaws ,by the way..
    Atb
    Mark

Just realised mine's actually a Light Model..
    Ah thanks, I did wonder if it related to Parker of Parker Hale.
    The gun has a broken stock, bent barrel and no innards also metal work is so pitted it would cost a lot to refinish, have less appeal to collectors as a resto and cost more to do than eventually worth as all the moving parts are missing then there'd be front & rear sights to find as well.
    I have a working one anyway so it's time is up.

Steve
    Steve

I think part of the company became Parker Hale, but AG Parker survived until relatively recent times. Run by one of the daughters called Ma Parker, who was an interesting and formidable lady and sold target rifles, pistols and sights and stuff until in very advanced years. I think she published a book or possibly a wonderful illustrated catalogue, that I have always wanted to own. Steve< Inproved> who doesn't post on here very often now, used to visit her shop and knew her slightly.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I think part of the company became Parker Hale, but AG Parker survived until relatively recent times. Run by one of the daughters called Ma Parker, who was an interesting and formidable lady and sold target rifles, pistols and sights and stuff until in very advanced years. I think she published a book or possibly a wonderful illustrated catalogue, that I have always wanted to own. Steve< Inproved> who doesn't post on here very often now, used to visit her shop and knew her slightly.
    Small world, it was Steve Johnson who gave it to me when I purchased a double sear side button BSA project from him a few years ago, which Mike Sharpe is examining at the moment while I have a piston end screw remade. That's how the break barrel re-surfaced the other day being still in the same gun slip.

Steve
    Steve

Ha it is a small world for sure. Steve is a tidy fellow and interesting chap. I used to see him quite often at one time. I saw him last year for a coffee, but what with covid and such like I haven’t been up his way lately 😊
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."