Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch help/advise required (35's)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weihrauch help/advise required (35's)

I've long had a project HW35 that I should finally get on with, the gun which is working, has a super rusty barrel & cylinder so badly pitted that if it would restore would surely cost far too much so I want to put all the working parts into a new cylinder with new barrel, servicing as I go of course.
    It will be a Triggers broom but I was always intent on doing this.

I already had a cylinder (a KLS limited edition mentioned in another post recently) so I will need a barrel (Chambers £87 +vat but post to RFD of course).
    Before I even start I see a difference at the safety button area, the old cylinder has a difference to the replacement one.
    The difference is that there is another hole on the right of the cylinder and it's not like that on the old one, see picture where marked O & X.
    This is where the button protrudes to the right side of the gun (as on my Export model) a change to that of early versions obviously, so my wreck must be much older, I wonder how old? serial 708755.
    My main question therefore is will my safety button swap over (I haven't dismantled it yet) or will I need different parts and also what other issues may arise?

Visually and dimensionally I see no other problems.

I've never worked on a HW either so any pointers?

https://imgur.com/gallery/cqIY77U

TIA Steve
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

The old one you have has a "single sided safety" that was a predesessor to the newer KLS one you have now.
    The first HW35's had no safety but in the 1976's they added the SSF, soon followed by the safety as on the KLS in 1980.
    That same year (1980) they changed the scope rail from 13mm to 11mm, so that is different too.....

===============
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    The old one you have has a "single sided safety" that was a predesessor to the newer KLS one you have now.
    The first HW35's had no safety but in the 1976's they added the SSF, soon followed by the safety as on the KLS in 1980.
    That same year (1980) they changed the scope rail from 13mm to 11mm, so that is different too.....

===============
    Frank
    Hi, the KLS scope rail is also 11mm, the safety button area is the only difference between two that I can see other than an extra arrester hole.
    Steve

Hi you will need a different safety I have loads so pm me your name and address and I will send one. Instead of changing it all see how much it would cost to have the original action blacked I know it costs around £100 to have it done but then you will keep the original rifle as a whole one. You will be amazed what the blackers can do with a very rough rifle

I would say it will be worth more in the long run all original

Quote Originally Posted by Kevmcc View Post
    I would say it will be worth more in the long run all original
    The pitting really is so deep the dressing pre polishing of the metal would be a huge job removing loads of metal in the process.
    I really bought the cheapest wreck I could for the purpose of making a new gun up essentially getting all the internals in one purchase.
    Also I want to go .177 with new barrel where the wreck is.22
    If this had been a very first generation I could warrant considering a full restore but I don't think (hope) it will be wrong doing it this way.

There's been a suggestion the KLS should be restored to original but finding a correct stock would be near impossible and probably silly cost too. Also I wouldn't like how those stocks look anyway personally.

Thanks

Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    The pitting really is so deep the dressing pre polishing of the metal would be a huge job removing loads of metal in the process.
    I really bought the cheapest wreck I could for the purpose of making a new gun up essentially getting all the internals in one purchase.
    Also I want to go .177 with new barrel where the wreck is.22
    If this had been a very first generation I could warrant considering a full restore but I don't think (hope) it will be wrong doing it this way.

There's been a suggestion the KLS should be restored to original but finding a correct stock would be near impossible and probably silly cost too. Also I wouldn't like how those stocks look anyway personally.

Thanks

Steve
    Send me you address and I will post a safety out for you anyway foc

Send me you address and I will post a safety out for you anyway foc
    Steve

Hi you will need a different safety I have loads so pm me your name and address and I will send one.
    Nice one. And yet another example of the community spirit and helpfulness of the many on the caring, sharing BBS.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If you have the original trigger unit in your old one it will not except a safety . The cage is different , it has no tab on it .

You can fit the newer unit but at what cost ?

What you could do with is another donor cheap later model or simply restore the old one .

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    If you have the original trigger unit in your old one it will not except a safety . The cage is different , it has no tab on it .

You can fit the newer unit but at what cost ?

What you could do with is another donor cheap later model or simply restore the old one .
    The donor gun is a single sided safety, Mick.

So the cage will have the tab on it and swap straight over.

That saves on needing another trigger then but the new pistons aren’t cheap , along with a new or SH barrel you could probably buy a later model any way

The ops donor will have the old cocking arm so will probably click & possible galling . The kLS cylinder I agree would be better for a rebuild though.

Then he would really need new barrel shims & axis bolt , ideally a new barrel latch unless the old one is in good nick .

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I've long had a project HW35 that I should finally get on with, the gun which is working, has a super rusty barrel & cylinder so badly pitted that if it would restore would surely cost far too much so I want to put all the working parts into a new cylinder with new barrel, servicing as I go of course.
    It will be a Triggers broom but I was always intent on doing this.

I already had a cylinder (a KLS limited edition mentioned in another post recently) so I will need a barrel (Chambers £87 +vat but post to RFD of course).
    Before I even start I see a difference at the safety button area, the old cylinder has a difference to the replacement one.
    The difference is that there is another hole on the right of the cylinder and it's not like that on the old one, see picture where marked O & X.
    This is where the button protrudes to the right side of the gun (as on my Export model) a change to that of early versions obviously, so my wreck must be much older, I wonder how old? serial 708755.
    My main question therefore is will my safety button swap over (I haven't dismantled it yet) or will I need different parts and also what other issues may arise?

Visually and dimensionally I see no other problems.

I've never worked on a HW either so any pointers?

https://imgur.com/gallery/cqIY77U

TIA Steve
    Hi Steve.

I'd use the KLS cylinder as the single sided safety cylinders come from the period when the cylinder brazing was a bit dubious --- all your components will fit the KLS cylinder.
    I'd also be fitting a later piston with synthetic seal and longer stroke rather than using the original leather sealed piston.

If you put a wanted ad on here for a barrel etc, you may get lucky as many folks seem to have 35 parts kicking around.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Steve.

I'd use the KLS cylinder as the single sided safety cylinders come from the period when the cylinder brazing was a bit dubious --- all your components will fit the KLS cylinder.
    I'd also be fitting a later piston with synthetic seal and longer stroke rather than using the original leather sealed piston.

If you put a wanted ad on here for a barrel etc, you may get lucky as many folks seem to have 35 parts kicking around.

All the best Mick
    Thanks Mick, re the piston, exactly what items would I need and where to get them without having to go via RFD's? Will the existing cocking link work with it for instance?

Thanks

Steve
    Steve

Great info and help so far guys,

Thanks

Steve
    Steve