LOTS OF NEW PHOTOS ADDED

Lots of new photos added ....
    See end of thread

Can anyone identify this BSA
    And what would be its value
    Lad at work just got it from an old neighbour
    Its in .22 and in good original condition
    What would be a guess at its year

Last edited by Rocket launcher; 31-08-2021 at 07:15 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi it is a BSA break barrel c 1930s. they only made them in .177 not in .22. price around about £100 mark.

That's a great air rifle you have there. That looks in good shooting shape. Fortunately, they aren't very sought after by collectors, probably because in the 30's they were the budget alternative to the under levers, plus there was only one model of them.
    However they are well made, fine shooting air rifles, that are easy to shoot and handle very nicely. A lady I used to go out with really liked shooting mine. I would rate them as good as any of the other prewar british break barrels.
    Power wise they would be maybe seven or eight foot pounds in good condition. I have seen a couple with the front part of the cylinder where the jaws that hold the barrel, be slightly loose. As the the jaws thread onto the cylinder. But a drop of thread lock would sort that.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

This one is definitely. 22
    I know I shot it I even provided the pellets..
    does that make a difference

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    This one is definitely. 22
    I know I shot it I even provided the pellets..
    does that make a difference
    Well according to info, they only came in .177. is it smooth bore or rifled. and what is the serial number.

that does look nice

If it is a factory original .22 caliber, would imagine it would probably be worth quite a bit of money. It would most likely be an experimental gun from the factory. That was never a production gun. Unfortunately I sold mine, while rationalising my collection to pre WW1 airguns, so can’t compare the barrel. It looks like it has a replacement link pin.

I would venture that it is a hybrid. That barrel appears to be a (later?) replacement; the blueing condition is markedly different between the barrel and cylinder, cocking arm and trigger block.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I would venture that it is a hybrid. That barrel appears to be a (later?) replacement; the blueing condition is markedly different between the barrel and cylinder, cocking arm and trigger block.
    true...and if anything you'd expect the barrel to be in poorer condition, not better...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

From memory, I think that original barrels would have been marked with the BSA piled arms logo.

Wondering if your barrel is marked in any way ?

Lakey

cadet or cadet major barrel perhaps ? (assuming it's a BSA one)

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    cadet or cadet major barrel perhaps ? (assuming it's a BSA one)
    They were both typically in .177 only too. I think the first BSA break barrel in .22 was the Meteor Mk1.

If a genuine BSA .22 barrel, that would be a very rare thing, but as others have said, most likely re-barreled at some point.

I wonder how it shoots ? I mean it cant be worse than the .22 Merlin, which apparently gave only pistol type velocities.

Lakey

BSA Breakdown was offered in .177 only

As Lakey mentioned, does it have the BSA piled arms logo stamped just above the rear dovetail?

Most Breakdown models were rifled with 12 grooves running counter-clockwise, but smoothbores were available for shooting darts

Around the same time Midland Gun Co’s break-barrel models were available in .177 & .22

Most likely to be a bitza/hybrid re barreled in past

Last edited by Lee5159; 15-08-2021 at 01:14 PM.

As is not uncommon with break barrels, the barrel is not true to the cylinder. Is it possible to see the gun in the broken open state? Breach block views?

Could have been Parker rifled I suppose. Maybe as an apprentice project. Though don’t know how that would work with the breech seal fitting.