Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What bsa is this

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I would venture that it is a hybrid. That barrel appears to be a (later?) replacement; the blueing condition is markedly different between the barrel and cylinder, cocking arm and trigger block.
    Dunno........The proportions and bits all look correct for a BSA barrel of the original type, especially if you click on them as they come up quite big, then compare to other examples say on danny's site.......except for possibly a replacement rear sight insert. It is also quite common to get an original prewar gun with differences in bluing due to handling, ie. the compression chambers often have more patina than the barrel due to just more contact with skin, and photos are notoriously inaccurate to go by.

Just my thoughts, will be interesting to find out.

ATB, Ed

I Offered my Cadet Major up to my Breakdown today and without taking each apart to do exact measuring they do look like they would interchange.

Steve
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

The cadet only came in .177 as well. Though at least one barrel was made in .22 as Knibbs has one for sale.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

So it would seem Cadet Major barrel possibly would fit & you'd be hard pushed to tell (or I would) but still doesn't explain why this one's a .22
    Steve

My mate is on holiday for 2 weeks I will take pictures when he is back, there was bsa marks on barrel

"helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

New photos
    Barral is a .22 smoothbore if that helps
    Pictures showing stamps etc

It looks like a drilled out breakdown barrel, hence it being smoothbored.

It is definitely not a cadet major/Cadet barrel, as it has a spring detent on the barrel, under the breech, which is different from the Cadet design.

Must be great fun with some .22 darts.

Lakey

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    It looks like a drilled out breakdown barrel, hence it being smoothbored.

It is definitely not a cadet major/Cadet barrel, as it has a spring detent on the barrel, under the breech, which is different from the Cadet design.

Must be great fun with some .22 darts.

Lakey
    My thoughts as well with the barrel being smoothbore, someone as drilled it out.

edbear2 Guest
    I would like to see that bore, as if drilled would be pants unless polished ........If the O.P. can clean it and shine a light and tell us that may be interesting!

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I would like to see that bore, as if drilled would be pants unless polished ........If the O.P. can clean it and shine a light and tell us that may be interesting!

ATB, ED
    I'm leaning towards the view that it was not available over here but made for export to somewhere like Ireland or even India?

If someone had the engineering capability to open that length of .177 bore to .22 in a straight and true manner then I'm certain they had the the capability to ream and hone it to size as well. Drilling it out to size might sound easy to a layman but in reality it is a pig of a job unless one is geared up for it.

My view is that it's a factory job for export. I too would like to see a bore view

What do other engineers think?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I'm leaning towards the view that it was not available over here but made for export to somewhere like Ireland or even India?

If someone had the engineering capability to open that length of .177 bore to .22 in a straight and true manner then I'm certain they had the the capability to ream and hone it to size as well. Drilling it out to size might sound easy to a layman but in reality it is a pig of a job unless one is geared up for it.

My view is that it's a factory job for export. I too would like to see a bore view

What do other engineers think?

I wonder if Knibbs would have an idea anyone on here have friendly contact there?
    Steve