Thread: New oldie

New oldie

I got this today but not sure of the maker, to me looks Militia like but no markings visible anywhere.
    It's quite like my side push button one which only marking is "Made in Germany"

It has an octagonal to round .177 rifled barrel, a tap like barrel latch up/release, the underside of the barrel and cylinder are both stamped 95, has metal butt plate and chequering at the wrist and I'd assume between the wars.

At the left side of the breech block there (in my mind) might be a faint signs of a name (see pic) but it could be wishful thinking on my part and possibly just marks from the original machining.
    There may even be something on the cylinder but I don't want to sand back to bright steel obviously.

It would be nice if someone recognises the model/maker. An idea of value would also be useful.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4MkbrvQ
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi it looks just like my millita with the same type rear sight as yours, which is stamped with precision.

New info

Looking in Hiller's 4th edition I can see it maybe a choice from one of these:
    Marco on page 156
    Roland model 1927 on page 201
    Tell on page 209.
    All are claimed to have the names on them but I can't see anything, not unusual to wear away when so old and disappear under "patina" though of course.
    There may even be more options but in each one Dennis relates to the others indicating all are closely linked perhaps by one maker or a shared design and sent to different markets possibly.
    Knowing it's value would be nice, then I can see how much I over paid

Steve
    Steve

I don't think it's a Miliita Steve - more like a Tell/Roland/Precision from between the wars.

Kind Regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I associate 'Precision' with some models of imported FLZ rifles and named as such by Pulverman. I have never seen one though with that type of breech lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I don't think it's a Miliita Steve - more like a Tell/Roland/Precision from between the wars.

Kind Regards,

John
    Agreed John, At first glance I was thinking Militia but I came up with the same thoughts as you suggest last night when thumbing through my Hiller edition four. Mentioned it further up the thread in fact and glad you are thinking the same although I found "Marco" as well and overlooked Precision.
    I particularly like the tap like latch.

Steve
    Steve

just guessing

Does the breech block have the "droopy" ends? it is hard to see in the photo. If so I would guess Milita , I also notice the rear sight is too far forward so I think that has been replaced ? It appears to me to be a bit of a 'mongrel' between a Milita & a Tell?

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    Agreed John, At first glance I was thinking Militia but I came up with the same thoughts as you suggest last night when thumbing through my Hiller edition four. Mentioned it further up the thread in fact and glad you are thinking the same although I found "Marco" as well and overlooked Precision.
    I particularly like the tap like latch.

Steve
    Must admit I like that latch too - very elegant.

Yes, Marco is another, although I believe they were an importer rather than manufacturer - the Modern ARms COmpany.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Some similar unmarked rfles here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....guns/#post-339
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Does the breech block have the "droopy" ends? it is hard to see in the photo. If so I would guess Milita , I also notice the rear sight is too far forward so I think that has been replaced ? It appears to me to be a bit of a 'mongrel' between a Milita & a Tell?
    I don't think I can see any issues, from the pictures of the ones I mention it seems identical to them.

Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Mine is so like the two Tell types that the link opens to, except the finish!!
    Steve