Thread: Saxby and Palmer Ensign Air Rifle

Saxby and Palmer Ensign Air Rifle

Hi, I'm on the other side of the pond and recently acquired a beautiful Saxby and Palmer Ensign air rifle. It doesn' t look like its had much use. It had the pump and 12 cartridges, both plastic and metal. My concern is that I may be missing some of the adapters to charge the cartridges. It appears that the adapter configuration changes based on if your using plastic or metal cartridges. I was hoping to attach some pictures of what I currently have and the documentation that I have for the pump adapters, but I don't believe I've been granted that permission level. Does anyone know if any of these adapters are available or possibly manufactured by a 3rd party? Otherwise, would be the only source for this? Thanks.

If I can get access to post pictures, I'll follow-up with what I have.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    The chapmwho is most likely to have answers for you is ACAllday on hee
    Gun control means using both hands.

Hi and welcome to the club.....
    I assume you have the big bench pump, it will have a big silver shroud which your cartridges will screw into. This is unscrewed and a brass bush is screwed back on, this increases the thread size and reduces the depth the probe enters the cartridge. Other bushes were available to convert the pump to charge the pistol cartridges. I have some, not all the bushes and various other spares for the cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Hi and welcome to the club.....
    I assume you have the big bench pump, it will have a big silver shroud which your cartridges will screw into. This is unscrewed and a brass bush is screwed back on, this increases the thread size and reduces the depth the probe enters the cartridge. Other bushes were available to convert the pump to charge the pistol cartridges. I have some, not all the bushes and various other spares for the cartridges.
    Thanks ACallday. This is an awesome site. Yes I have the big pump. Here s a pic of the pump with the adapter that I have.

I also have the chrome adapter that you can see in this picture as well as the plastic and metal cartridges. With the pieces here, I haven't seen a way to charge the cartridges. I would like to charge both metal and plastic.

The only document I have is this, which shows some configurations of the pump and adapters as well as part numbers:

I have an image of the instructions below, but its too hard to read. Have any idea where I might find this in pdf?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by MrPellet; 31-08-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Hi mate, your pictures aren't showing, I have sent you a PM which might help.

if anyone knows about your ensign then marks the man.....he has kept my brococks breathing on 2 occassions so far

Message sent mate,
    Looks like you have all the right bits!

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Message sent mate,
    Looks like you have all the right bits!
    But not necessarily in the right order…

(That never gets old)
    Morally flawed

You indeed have the correct parts.

Be careful with the plastic cartridges. They were pretty fragile when new, and I doubt have got better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    But not necessarily in the right order…

(That never gets old)
    Yep, that is funny! I think failing to remove the poppet was my downfall, but ACAllDay has renewed life into this gun!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Michael has one of the first 1000 Ensign Arms Elite's, they also released the Walnut stocked Royal as a limited edition.
    Then came the Saxby and Palmer Galaxy and the I'll faited first black synthetic stock the Saturn...
    The Saturn stocks are more rare than the Walnut ones, as if they were left out on a sunny day the heat would cause them to vent any air bubbles from the casting process...
    Great rifles, weird recoil/valve bounce....